Tuesday, June 29, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 6/29/21

“Where words fail, music speaks.”  (Hans Christian Andersen)   10 years ago, Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords suffered a severe brain injury after being shot by a protestor.  Her speech was affected, much like with a stroke patient.  But science and music are providing some recovery by rewiring her brain.  She can now play America on the French horn and sing Amazing Grace.  Gabby is amazing!   So is science…and so is music.  ;-)  Jack


FROM THE SHARK:  Gabby is amazing but Republicans are an embarrassment for claiming that the 2nd amendment protect their right to own semiautomatic guns!!!!===JACK:  How do we protect ourselves from the "crazies" who are out there carrying guns.  Mental illness is a real problem that society is refusing to deal with.  So many problems....So few ideas as to how they might be solved.


FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Yes....I have found music can (at least for me), stir up emotions....especially when combined with video.   A good case in point is John Williams "Hymn to the Fallen"  (here's the link to it  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omd9_FJnerY ) video.  So much more powerful than just the video itself.  I have read that the right music can have a great calming effect....especially when combined with meditation.  I have always been in awe of how composers can get all the different instruments to play certain notes that when combined turn into a song.===JACK:  One of my favorite CDs is "Music For The Mind.  I think that I'll play it right now.  You should be able access it also.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Gabby is so admired, and bless her husband for his support and tender care. I think he has been instrumental in her recovery!!  She has a lot of grit and determination, too!  Music is such a force; Many elderly can sing the words to hymns, long after they; can't speak or ;understand when spoken to!! I've experienced this in my calls in the nursing homes. They can always sing with me!! or tap their finger as they listen...===JACK:  Music is a great healer.  I thought that it was meaningful that the song she chose to sing was, Amazing Grace.


FROM PROUD MARY:  We know what Don McClean sang and believed… ”Music soothes the mortal soul”===JACK:  Is there a song that soothes your soul?  A slow version of Amazing Grace does it for me....although I like different kinds of music at different life times/experiences.  I think that we may have sung, 'Children of the Heavenly Father" at Sarah's deaht.  Beautiful tune and meaningful words..===MARY:  That is a beautiful song. I also love “Away in a Manger”.  “Puff the Magic Dragon” is a fav of mine.===JACK:  So many beautiful songs...so little time..."Puff" is one of my favorites.  We sat in the front row and heard Peter, Paul and Mary sing it at a concert.

 

 

No comments: