Thursday, May 06, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 5/6/21

“In that nanosecond of enlightenment I knew that the human spirit survives the death of the physical body and I understood that my wandering soul needed to get back into the earthly habitat.”  (Janet Bettag)  I once talked to a church member who had a “death” experience and found herself looking down on the operating room doctors who were trying to revive her.  In seminary we discussed whether soul and body can exist separate from each other.  What do you think?  Is there such a thing as a wandering soul?  Recently, I almost discovered the answer.  ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  you should say more about that last line in today's WWs===JACK:  That's how I tried to present sermons...leaving the audience wanting more.===P:  good idea!    too little is better than too much when it comes to preaching.    Paul Youngdahl preached for 11 or 12 minutes.  he said when you go to the gas station you don't have to fill the tank up every time.   often half a tank is all you need for that day or that week.===JACK:  Reuben Youngdahl was one of the first to do "short" sermons.  He has an assistant who'd look up good human interest illustrations to include in the sermons.  I think that the service had to end in less than an hour, so that the parking lot could be emptied fore the next service.  I think that there were five or six, each on the hour.  Big crowds.  

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  you almost discovered the answer? what happened?===JACK:  The answer is in your imagination.===L:  I hope you are  ok.===JACK:  Yep!


FROM SOOGEE:  Thanks for these wonderful messages!  But what happened that you experienced a near death situation?  Were you hospitalized?  Are you okay now?  I’m praying for you! ===JACK:  I was in the ER.  It was fascinating  and, as you can see, Winning Words are still being sent.

FROM LUCIE:  Are you ok? How do you feel now?===JACK:  You KNOW about thje presence of God during "strange" times.  I feel even more strogly about it now.

FROM MY LAWYER:  I'll never forget the time that (Police Chief) Al McGhee "died" on the operating table where he was for back surgery.  The doctors flipped him over and brought him "back to life".  He told me that it was like looking up through a can with a pin prick in the top, and it got lighter and lighter until, finally, he woke up.  I joked to him about the fact that he was looking "up", not down!!!===JACK:  My experience was a space filled with a bright, soft, yellow light...very calming.  I turned my head to the right, and Joan and the ER appeared.===ML:  It wasn't your time!!===JACK:  "No one knows the day nor the hour."...It will come like a thief in the night.

FROM KHPC:  Glad to hear that you didn’t actually discover the answer yet and that you are still here to ponder this issue with the rest of us……but we will all find out at some time.===JACK:  I shall not be afraid.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I've looked at the account of "the rich man and Lazarus" as an illustration of what that might entail. The parables Jesus gave and taught from never used actual names that I am aware of, except for this story of Abraham, Lazarus, the rich man. Man's understanding and senses were present in the account (at least, sight, smell, hearing, feeling and perhaps touching). A pretty powerful message for us to comprehend?! 0;-)===JACK:  Jesus knew how to preach and keep the interest of listeners.  That's why people crowded around him. 

FROM DR JUDEE:  Wow!! You had a near death experience (NDE), I take it. i’m glad you chose to return. If you have any other insights, I’d love to hear about it. ===JACK:  I think that our "talk" could lead to further conversation.

FROM YOGA LADY:  Hey Jack, As of late i 've been absorbed in work but saw these words for today - needed to check in. Are you ok?  Please know how much I look forward to hearing your wisdom every day.===JACK:  I'm feeling great.  I think that soul and body can exist separately.  Take good care friend!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'd guess they have to survive apart, when the human body dies! Other than "near-death experience" I don't believe I've heard of a sold leaving one's body.  When Bill "died" on the handball court, and was not revived for 45 minutes (miracle!) He  didn't recall anything from his dying and recovery!  Would have been interesting if he'd had some vision of eternity to tell us! ===JACK:  Sometimes we wish we could go back and hear the rest of the story.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  How did you discover that?  Everything OK?===JACK:  I'm OK and feel fortunate to have experienced something that I had onlr read about and speculated about.  

FROM LBP:  Well you can’t end a WW with a comment about almost seeing the other side without something! I was just getting in from my first time out on roller blades in ages and didn’t know how to (or if I should) prod. But I wanted you to know I saw and care.  I try to be pragmatic about death and loss. My moms parents lived full lives and died well. My 8+ yr mentee at work needs a change of career to balance her other life responsibilities and I understand. It doesn’t mean my heart doesn’t ache sometimes for relationships that I had but are now ended or changed. But I’m trying to learn to be grateful for the time I had with the person and not on the what if’s and wishes.  Anyhow, whatever you were facing, I send all my love ... and hugs.  ===JACK:  I'm doing quite well, thank you.  I find life to be interesting and worth living. 

FROM AA:  DID YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGY?  YOU MUST BE OK, YOU'RE STILL WRITING. ===JACK:  No ambulance, but I guess you'd say that "it was unusual."

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also was concerned, Pastor Freed. Glad you are very well and able to talk about something very faith growing happening to you. I believe in those God-given experiences too and know that it is wisest to focus most on God-given and not necessarily the personal because everyone is so uniquely different and actually, to tell the truth, some will not receive the telling in an affirming way. The rationalization and scientific mindset of our contemporary times is so strong. But what interested me about your WW was that seems like the soul might be wandering, still it also seems that it is mysteriously still connected to its own body. I don't intuit from your WW that it can be speculated that the soul will just go down and enter into a body not previously connected to it--maybe just logically because all the other bodies already still have their souls in them. Your WW are comforting in this way--soul and body are connected and the relationship not broken permanently. I think and believe our earthly bodies are mysteriously akin to the resurrected bodies we will have. This belief causes me to regard dead bodies differently than if I weren't of the faith I have. Interesting WW, Pastor Freed!!!!!
Sharon, Southfield