Tuesday, May 11, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 5/11/21

“You’re traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of the mind…your next stop, the Twilight Zone.”  (Rod Serling)  A favorite book of mine gives a synopsis of every episode of The Twilight Zone, filling me in on “the few” episodes that I missed.  Lately I’ve re-discovered “the Zone” on Netflix.  One of Serling’s strengths is that he is able to connect past, present and future.  An example of this is, “He Is Alive,” having to do with a Neo-Nazi who seeks to emulate Adolf Hitler, after being visited by him in a dream.  Do you think that dreams can be another dimension that we can experience?  ;-)  Jack


FROM HONEST JOHN:  Was that guy Trump?===JACK:  Serling wrote that story before Trump was on the front page.  "Hitler" lives in anyone who believes in ethnic (racial) cleansing.  IMO< we were heading in that direction as we approached the 2020 election.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  They certainly can wake us up and get our attention to some thought-provoking challenges.  0;-)===JACK:  ...just like some of our sermons are supposed to do.


FROM NORM'S BLOG:   I remember watching the Twilight Zone. Each week it would be something new, different, and often bizarre. Serling took us out of the dimension of the physical that we all lived in and into the dimension of the mind where anything was possible. This was TV before all of today’s special effects were invented, so it looks quite tame by modern standards.===JACK:  ...like the old saying, "Some things are best left to  the imagination.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  Always insightful Jack.  I think the early Star Trek episodes worked in a similar way to TZ.  The writers took concerns and issues that were current and placed them in a different context so that viewers could see them differently.===JACK:  I think that sermons should be presented in the same way...making them relevant...but not "pushing" it.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  there are a lot of dreams in the Bible so i would answer,  yes. ===JACK:  Was Jacob wrestling with an angel...a dream?===SP:  no,  that was a nightmare!    he had a rock for pillow.  ouch!     


FROM OPTIART:  Hello Jack. I tried to transport myself to the Twilight Zone to see if it would help me as I strive to recover from my latest hip replacement surgery. So far no luck, but it was an intriguing exercise. So I am back to relying on Mother Nature and physical therapy to get me back to an acceptable level of Mobility during the next three or four weeks. I continue to enjoy and benefit from your winning words. Please keep up your good work.===JACK:  I'm recovering from a cracked hip.  There's a song, "One day at a time, sweet Jesus."  In these days when we've become accustomed to instantaneous, we need to relearn patience.  There's an old proverb..."Patience is a virtue."


No comments: