Wednesday, May 12, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 5/12/21

“My masculinity isn’t hinged on whether or not I knit.”  (Robin Green & Mitchell Burgess)  When I attend church conventions I often see female pastors knitting during the proceedings, but I’ve never seen a male with knitting needles.  It doesn’t seem to be a macho thing like, belching, driving a muscle car, smoking cigars and having a 2-day beard.  I think it’s time to put away stereotypes.  It’s OK for Russell Crowe to knit, for a woman to ride a Harley.  I’m glad to have lived during a time of gender equality…same opportunities for all.  Who needs to care whether or not I knit?  ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Maybe shoot marbles over in some corner next year?! 0;-) ===JACK:  I still have my marbles, but the ability to get down on my knees and get up has been lost.  Maybe I should take up knitting. 

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Well said, my friend!!===JACK:  Are you one of those knitters?===SJ:  No.  Not yet.  I've attempted to return to knitting and learn crocheting a few times over these past four or five years, but I prefer reading and am determined to wear out my eyes reading for learning as well as for pleasure.  Once in a while I'll do a hand-sewing project but I don't enjoy dragging out the sewing machine nearly as much as I did in my forties.  Thank you for your Winning Words.  They are such a pleasure and another way toward thoughtfulness.===JACK:  I've read that Helen Keller could knit and crochet...and row a boat..


FROM THE SHARK:    Hilda and I both smoke cigars :)  Are we both macho? ===JACK:  How about belching?  Who does it louder?  You or her?

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  I learned some neat knitting techniques from a neighbor man at least 50 years ago – when it really wasn’t fashionable for a man to knit. Bill was very good at it!  There are now some very creative and talented men quilters that I’m learning from – think it is their engineering skills being put to good use.===JACK:  How about male quilters?  I haven't know any?  When I was first ordained there were no female pastors.  Now, the Presiding Bishop of the ELCA is named, Elizabeth.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I have tatted a rug and my daughter and granddaughter love working in my wood shop.....we don’t worry about stereotypes.===JACK:  Our growing up years were filled with stereotypes...like Moline was always better at sports than East Moline was.  

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Do you remember the kerfluffle when Rosey Grier came out as a knitter back in the day?  He was a “manly man” by the standards of the day😊  Here is a link that may make you smile and trigger an old memory…. https://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/2012/11/unique-1970s-crocheter-pro-football-player-rosey-grier/===JACK:  I don't suppose that any of the Playboy Bunnies were knitters...or were males.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It was certainly rare to see a man knitting or tatting, or quilting when I was growing up! I don't believe I knew of any! In one of the churches we served, we had a man who learned to crochet from his wife, and  helped her crochet afghans  and lap  blankets for Nursing homes, and people in our church. I have a lovely white one they did for me, which is beautiful!  I think stereotypes have modified a great deal since I was young! Much less judgmental, for the most part!  But I'm not about to drive a Harley! :-)  One of the young men in our Springfield church became a pastor, and rode his motorcycle everywhere. He did well, and even began a Bible Study in a popular bar downtown!  He's now retired, and still has a "bike", but more often uses his car, I  think due to concerns of his wife and family.===JACK:  A pastor friend was a biker and was often called on to do a funeral when motorcyclist died.  He'd lead the procession in his clerical garb, riding his Harley.  The casket was in a trailer pulled by a motorcycle.  All of the mourners were on their bikes, too.  Quite a scene.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i do some nit-picking sometimes.   does that count at all?===JACK: Somebody has to do the "picking" job.  I've read that sometimes nits have to be picked out of a head of hair.  Incidentally,, a nit is the egg of a louse which attaches itself to a human hair.  A person who makes jokes about that job is called, a nit wit.

 

 

No comments: