Tuesday, May 25, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 5/25/21

“It’s choice, not chance, that determines your destiny.”  (Jean Nidetch)  When I looked up life as a choice or chance, it was suggested to “Google yourself.”  I never realized that that there were so many “of me” out there.  I also never realized how much my life depended on “chances” and what chances I took.  We are what we were…Life is full of quirkiness.  “If I had done this instead of that?”  I believe that God has been by my side.  How’s it worked for you?  One of the great gifts of God is individual Free-Will…the opportunity and the wisdom to choose.  ;-)  Jack


FROM NORM'S BLOG:  There is a tendency to use the words fate and destiny as if they have a common meaning and indeed the dictionaries often show them as synonyms; however, when I did a little quick research, I found some useful definitions of the differences –  “Fate and destiny are both words dealing with a predetermined or destined future. That's why they are so easy to mix up. However, while fate is concrete and determined by the cosmos, destiny depends on your choices in life.”  It is that ability to make choices that is made possible by free will and the impact of free will is further defined in these two sentences that I found –  fate brings you opportunities, and free will determines whether or not you take them.  Fate parades options in front of you, but you have to use your free will to reach up and grab one.  So, rather than believe that God has somehow pre-determined the course of your life, it is perhaps more accurate to think that God already knows what choices fate will present to you and can foresee the choices that you will make. There are all sorts of sayings about God being one’s co-pilot in life or being there with you as you make those choices. It is also comforting to know that even if you make bad choices, God forgives you and sticks with you.===JACK:  Free Will is the wild card.  "I am the master of my fate" is a statement that calls for clarification.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Early on in my ministerial experiences, a younger group of us were at a pastor's retreat and the pastoral counselor and presenter handed out a sheet of paper with a list of questions on one side (name, family names, address, church pastoring, college/seminary attended, hobbies enjoyed, memorable family vacations, etc.) and on the other side was a blank sheet asking us, (within a certain number of words) to answer the question, "In God's eyes, 'Who Am I?'" After waxing eloquently I'm sure with my many spiritual descriptions now completed and having turned it in, did I find the best responses were the ones who made a list once again of the information they had previously written on the other side of the blank sheet, for that was who they were in God's eyes?!  0;-) ===JACK:  Do you know the Bible Camp song...."He's got His eye on you.  He's got His eye on you.  My Lord, sittin' in the Kingdom...He's got His eye on you." 


FROM CF IN KH:   Great contemplation there Jack.  You can always wonder what if but once you take a fork in the road you can’t go back.  If you feel you took the wrong route you can only look to change your path at the next fork.  Made me think of my family.  When I got hired at Southfield PD I also had employment offers with Auburn Hills PD, Grand Rapids PD and Wyoming, MI PD all at the same time.  If I had taken the GR or Wyoming offer it’s a pretty sure bet I wouldn’t have met and dated my wife, then married and had my two daughters.  But what didn’t I have by not going to GR?  Not something to worry about.===JACK:  For better or worse, we are responsible for how we use Free Will.  You and I seem to be satisfied that we have chosen wisely.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As long as we lean in on our faith, our choices can't be too bad, tho some are obviously better than others! Women didn't have the wide range of choices that are offered to girls today, but I am happy   with my life, as it turned out! Baptist clergy when we entered the ministry, was very strict about no alcohol and no smoking, and divorce was pretty  much a death warrant to ministers'  careers...all of which has greatly modified in recent years, as has options for women in ministry. (I never aspired to be an ordained pastor, but totally supported Bill's ministry as a team member.) My music ability was always a plus in the ministry !  God's unconditional love through all of our choices is definitely a comfort!! Interesting definition of Fate and destiny in Norm's blog;  Good to ponder!!===JACK:  Ordained, or not, we each minister (serve) in our own way.  Some are Marys; others are Marthas.  You seem to be a combination.

 

No comments: