Tuesday, May 04, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 5/4/21

“The Force will be with you.  Always.”  (Obi-Wan Kenobi)  What do you think George Lucas had in mind with “The Force” in Star Wars?  Is it a mysterious something that binds the universe together…or could it be like a religious concept of God?  God has a number of nicknames: Great Spirit, Jehovah, Jesus, Bog, Jainko, Allah, Brahman and many, many others.  One that I like, and one that seems to encompass all is, King of Kings.  I really don’t know what Lucas had in mind, but I interpret The Force to mean God (as I know him/her).  What God term is most comfortable for you?  ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  him/her? god may be one of the other genders... or none at all.  you have guts, my friend, you have guts.===JACK:  "You can't put God in a box!"  But, in order for "us" to understand God (the Force), a human form was created (Jesus) to communicate in a way that humans could understand.  He/she is immaterial.  What is "material" is the message...."Love God, and love your neighbor, as you love yourself!"  (Theology 101)  "May the Force be with you!"===L:  we all grow and learn... at least that is the goal, right? i like to entertain all sides of a discussion bc you never know what might spark a great new idea in someone.  btw, i was a double minor... econ and psych, altho i loathed every minute of organized education.===JACK:  You must have been a "handful" for those trying to teach you.


FROM WILLMAR REV:  I had a friend who has retired, moved on to Minneapolis some years ago and attended the local Unitarian church. He was an agnostic and would say, (lounge in cheek) often, "May the Force be with you!" 0;-)===JACK:  God is beyond names.  He is Jesus, but He is more than Jesus.  He is Father Creator, but He is more than that.  He is Spirit, but He is more than that.  Say, "i am who I am," but He is more than that.  If someone wants to call God, Force, I'm OK with that, but He is more than Force.  Do you recall singing, "Take the name of Jesus with you?" 

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i always loved to preach on Christ the King Sunday.  a monarchy is a somewhat foreign idea to most Americans tho we do seem fascinated by the Royals of England.  but the theme of Christ as King had lots of "meat" on it for the preacher to chew on:):):)  ===JACK:  Could there be a Christ, the President Sunday?  ...but no, Christ, the Dictator Sunday?

FROM SHARIN'  SHARON:  Thought-provoking WW this morning.  I kind of like wanting to believe that I am on the side of The Force and that as we go through this life of trials and adversities, that The Force will always be with us.  But truly the name of God I am most comfortable with is a more personal name, Father.   ===JACK:  In reality, God is beyond names...just as Sharon is beyond just a name.  There's more to each of us than our name.

FROM BUGMAN:  FRIEND===JACK:  I like the hymn, What a Friend We Have in Jesus.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I am smiling.  There’s a lovely book by Joseph Campbell called, “The Power of Myth” that Lucas cited on several occasions as inspiration for his Star Wars films.  They always inspire me and, though they have those overtones of Nazi occupation  and heartless slaughter, I also recall in the first couple of films that you never saw a person killed.  In any case, I’m a fan of the “Divine” and the “Spirit” but realize not everyone has affinity toward that spirit….===JACK:  I think that many of our "God images" are a carryover from the time when most of the Bible reading with a "literal" mind.  God is beyond words.
 
FROM HOMELESS IN FLORIDA:  "God". I think it covers quite aptly. Nothing else need be said or lost in the translation. Simple.===JACK:  Quite simple, YES...until the philosopher asks, "What do you mean by God?"

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  When I talk to him I usually say "Father. or Father-God, I'm wondering...,Or "I need help with...." or Thank you for....Or please bless so and so with....today" and so on. But sometimes Lord;, and for sickness, or healing,  in the name  of you Son, Jesus.  Fascinating to consider Him/Her or no gender when pondering  the great God Force!!  I love the way THE SHACK portrayed God , as sometimes a friend, sometimes a loving Mammy, or sometimes the quizzing judge, etc. He's all that, isn't "He"??!===JACK:  Our Bible came out of a male-dominated society, hence God was portrayed as a "HE."  Women pastors are relatively new.  The Catholic and Missouri Lutherans have yet to move in this direction.  When did American Baptists begin having women preachers?  While many people, like you, enjoyed The Shack, I was not tuned on by it.  One of my quirks.===OAKS:  Hmmm...I would say about 25-30 yrs. ago it became somewhat common; Now it is very common...at first women were Directors o Christian Ed, or youth workers, at best, associate pastors. Now they have their own churches, and do a good job, tho many men still have a little trouble identifying with a female head pastor.


No comments: