Friday, May 14, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 5/14/21

“Today, I have grown taller from walking with the trees.”  (Karie Wilson Baker)  I am not surprised to learn that the tallest tree known is a California Sequoia, 379.7’ tall.  It’s been given the name of “Hyperion,” meaning, “He who watches from above.”  I have a grandson who wanted to be taller than me.  We’d keep height marks on the kitchen wall.  Now, I’m the short one.  No matter what the measure, positive growth is to our advantage.  Has there been a “tree” that’s inspired you?  ;-)  Jack


FROM  ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  The purple Jacoranda tree that is now in bloom in Southern California.  Have you spoken to your psychologist friend yet about your OOB experience?===JACK:  We have a purple weeping Japanese tree, about 5' tall, by our front porch.  ...and, NO, psychologist and I haven't gotten together, yet.  


FROM SHALOM JAN:  Yes, Jack "Treed"!  You are an inspiration to me. ===JACK:  Sometimes trees are given as memorials to people...and, with the passage of time, the trees still stand, while the reason for their planting is forgotten.  Treed...HaHa===JAN:  I suppose we could do worse than to plant trees that help replenish the Earth while our "remains" are forgotten.  My body is going to Wayne State Medical School, so I'll be nothing but fertilizer-ashes when they're done with me.  Might as well put that on the roots of a tree!===JACK:  Maybe your ashes will work better than manure.


FRO ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  many "trees".  in the book i am working on i listed no less than 26 people who inspired my faith in my more youthful years.   i thank God for each one of them. ===JACK:  One of the beautiful trees in our front yard was once a little stalk transplanted from the property where Holy Spirit Church was built.==SP:  we have a Tamarac growing in our daughter's backyard that we brought down in a coffee can  from the UP of Michigan.  it's now about 14 feet tall and a beautiful tree. ===JACK:  We have one of those "coffee can" trees, too...from Wisconsin...where we began our family. 


FROM WILLMAR REV:  One made into a cross caught my attention as a child and has set in order a lifetime of sacred experiences and journeys I couldn’t have ever imagined early on. (Sounds like a sermon introduction, doesn’t it,===JACK:  The hymn, The Old Rugged Cross, was written by an evangelist, while he was conducting a series of revival meetings in Albion, Michigan.  There's a memorial plaque in front of the house where the evangelist was staying.


FROM LBP:  The hymn, The Old Rugged Cross, was written by an evangelist, while he was conducting a series of revival meetings in Albion, Michigan.  There's a memorial plaque in front of the house where the evangelist was staying. ===JACK:  It's true...trees, like people, often need TLC.


FROM JU IN NC:  I once was invited to a party. I love parties. I rushed down to the back of our yard to participate in the festivities.  However, since it was a private pity party, I was the only one there.  As the party progressed, I began enjoying it less.  The Lord tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to a large pine tree on the other side of the lawn.  He said that pine tree had withstood heat, cold, wind, insects,drought,and polution.  Yet it never once failed to lift it's branches upward in praise to it's Creator.  I stood up and ever since have had a different perspective of life, thanks to a pine tree.===JACK:  What a great story.  Thanks.  As you are building your new house, why not pant a tree and watch it grow as the years pass, marking the time that you've lived there.  A maple in our backyard was planted when we first moved it.  It began as a 2" diameter and now must be at least 2' in diameter.===JU:  Will do definitely!===JACK:  Maybe a Northome seedling, or one from Glen Ullin.


FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Mine would be the Poringland Oak painted by John Crome in 1818.  This tree is a short walk from our home, a beautiful tree. ===JACK:  I like oaks, with leaves that hang on, and acorns which are like the tree's children.  Does your tree have squirrels?===BS:  Oh! Yes, unfortunately only grey squirrels, red ones are rarely seen in England these days.===JACK:  Our squirrels are mainly red and black.


FROM WBDREM:  This tree inspires me Jack

https://www.annefrank.org/en/anne-frank/front-section/chestnut-tree/
===JACK:  I like the Joyce Kilmer poem..."I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree, etc."===DREM:  Or the Dr. Suess poem, "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees.." ===JACK:  That doctor knew what he was talking about.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I doubt you’ll ever really the “the short one” and wouldn’t put it past him to cheat with that pencil!===JACK:  He used to stand on tiptoes.  Now, I'm the one doing that.

 



No comments: