Monday, April 26, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 4/26/21

“Want what you have, and you’ll always have what you want.”  (On the Oaks’ refrigerator)  Who can argue with this thought?  We might call it, a truism…something obviously true.  Just for fun, I looked up synonyms for, a truism…and came up with…saw, chestnut, shibboleth and  trope…which caused me to do some more looking up.  Sydney J Harris wrote a book, “Things I Learned While Looking Up Other Things.”  While researching, Truism, I learned the meaning of words I thought I knew the meaning of.  Previously, I’d thought “bromide” referred to something advertised during the evening news.  ;-) Jack


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Oh my, that looks familiar. I've lived with that a long time, and it has helped my "wont to spend", tho I'll never be as frugal as my husband was! He knew what was really important!  I'll bet that book by Sydney Harris is good! Bill had his books, and loved his writing!! I just have one, and it's very old now!  thanks for sharing our truism!===JACK:  A magnet with those words on it...attributed to Bill Oaks would be a nice Christmas gift for your family members would make a nice Christmas gift...maybe even an heirloom.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  like Alka Seltzer??===JACK:  "Pop, Pop, Fizz, Fizz, Oh, what a relied it is,,,NOT!"...I never liked the salty taste of Speedy. ===SP:  i have never had an Alka Seltzer in my life.   i just never get an upset stomach for some reason.  nor any heart burn.===JACK:  No heart burn?  Even when you decided that Margaret was the one for you?



No comments: