Tuesday, April 20, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 4/20/21

“Always ask yourself what will happen if I say nothing.”  (Kamand Kojouri)  Each of us has probably found ourself in a situation where…(“I should have kept my mouth shut -.or -Why didn’t I sapeak up when I had the opportunity?)  One of my favorite Bible passages is Ecclesiastes 3…”There’s a time for everything.  There’s a time to speak up…and a time to shut up.”  One of my WW 2 heroes is Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German pastor who spoke out against Hitler and lost his life because of it.  When something is right or wrong, it’s our responsibility to “speak up” or to be complicit.  Bonhoeffer is worth emulating.  ;-)  Jack

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Bonhoeffer is one of my heroes, as well! I think I remember correctly that his camp was liberated ONE WEEK after he was hanged! Such a loss!!  The wisdom about WHEN to speak up improves with age, I think!  But for JUSTICE, you must speak out, NOW; And if able, act on your belief as well.  At least keep up-to-date and well-read on current situations, even tho that is not pleasant reading in most cases!!===JACK:  Greta Thunberg is one of my present day heroes.  Age isn't a factor when heroism is concerned.  Anne Frank is another.

FROM MAILMAN MIKE:  Another excellent Winning Words.  I'm trying to get in the habit of getting online everyday so I can read them. ===JACK:  Good habits and bad....to know the difference is a challenge. 

FROM TRIHARDER:  During arguments in court, sometimes the judge takes one party's position and argues against the other. When that happens in my favor, I've learned to say "your honor, I can't express it as well as you did. I have nothing to add." ===JACK:  It's been interesting to listen to the judge in the Chauvin trial...trial by jury and trial on the street. ===TH:  I've been appalled by the commentary. '''[[JACK:  Which commentary...bench?  TV?  street?===TH:  TV --MSNBC, CNN -- it's as if the Defendant doesn't deserve a trial.===JACK:  Fairness does not mean "trial outside of the courtroom.  I thought that civilization came with certain rules.

 FROM WILLMAR REV:  I've always paused to reflect on Christ's classic model of such, He would speak out at times and remain silent at other times; but it was known where he stood on the matter at hand. 0;-)===JACK:  Jesus was perfect!  Can we be expected to be perfect as he was perfect.===REV:  “When out of this world!” 0;-)

 


FROM NORM'S BLOG:  One of my favorite Bible passages is Ecclesiastes 3…”There’s a time for everything.  There’s a time to speak up…and a time to shut up.”  (Ed -Actually the Bible verse says a time to speak and a time to remain silent.)

I have a sign on my front lawn that is a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. – “Our lives begin to end the day that we become silent about things that matter.”===JACK:  That has influenced me, too.

 

 

No comments: