Thursday, April 08, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 4/8/21

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”  (George Bernard Shaw)  My favorite episode of The Twilight Zone is called, “Kick the Can.”  A group of people living at an “Old Folks’ Home” decides that they could recover their childhood by playing “Kick the Can.”  One night they “sneaked” outside and did indeed become children again.  One grouchy old man refused to play along, thinking that the group had become insane.  In the end, he was the only one who remained old.  Never turn down an invitation to play, “Kick the Can.”  ;-)  Jack

FROM BB IN CHGO:  , I’ve seen and loved that episode of Twilight.  Probably watched it at your urging.  Thanks.===JACK:  I'm still interested in playing Kick the Can.  What "childhood" game did you like?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Our family are the prime game players of all time, I think! WE constantly play cards and other games when we are together!! Children at heart? I hope so! My mom always played games with us in the evening, so we grew up loving to play a variety of games. Now our kids do the same! :-) ===JACK:  My mom and dad played cards, but it didn't rub off on my sister and me.  "Playing cards" was counted among "sins," like close dancing and going to movies on a Sunday afternoon.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  Good advice. We've had a year of no playing. Let's get outside 0r inside and play. ===JACK:  It must be kind of hard to play "kick the can" indoors.  

FROM PASTY PAT:  Omigosh! Every evening til the streetlights came on, on my block in Ahmeek! 😊===JACK:  Did they have streetlights in Ahmeek?  How about a traffic signal?  And a DQ?===PP:  Surely you jest! 😀 Actually Ahmeek did have streetlights but the closest traffic signal was a blinking yellow light as you entered Calumet 5 miles away.===JACK:  I've been thru Ahmeek, but I must have missed it.  Maybe I'll try again sometime and look for the blinking light. ===PP:  I didn’t explain it well. The blinking light is in Calumet. Ahmeek is practically a ghost town now with all the businesses closed, etc. My Mom is likely “rolling over in her grave” at the condition of the home I grew up in.===JACK:  Sometimes the sod does its job well by hiding certain things from our eyes.


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  that’s a great zone, isn’t it?===JACK:  We're never too old for fun and games...are we?

FROM JU IN NC:  GREEEEEAT!!!!!!!===JACK:  What other childhood games do you remember?  ...like running with your eyes closed from the barn to the house (and almost making it.)

FROM HOMELESS IN FL:  Oh boy. That advice could get me into T-R-O-U-B-L-E !===JACK:  Some of those things we did as kids would get us into all kinds of trouble as adults.

FROM JACK:      The object of the game (Kick the Can) is to put all the players in “jail”, capturing them by identifying them in their hiding spots. Once a player is “jailed” the only way to be freed is for another player to beat the “IT” person to the can and kick it.

 

No comments: