Thursday, April 15, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 4/15/21

“Don’t tax you.  Don’t tax me.  Tax that guy behind the tree.”  (Russell B Long (Louisiana Senator)  Long made this comment in 1973, after hearing many complaints about Income Taxes.  “Tax the other guy!”  Even in Jesus’ day tax collectors were named among the chief of sinners.  I wonder if Jesus ever filled out a 1040?  But, he did say, “Give to Caesar (the government) the things that are due.  The truth of the matter is that we can’t have an organized society without having it paid for.  I may appear strange, but I don’t want the “guy behind the tree” paying my share.  ;-)  Jack

FROM JU IN NC:  When I was younger, I appreciated being able To pay taxes.  I knew my Mother was getting more for social security than she had paid in.   ===JACK:  It's that way for many of us.  We get more than we pay in.

FROM MY TAX ADVISOR:  Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society  Everyone is entitled to pay the minimum amount of tax allowable under the law.   Supreme Court quotes that I remember.  Too lazy to look up exact quotes and their authors.===JACK:  Who said: "There is no Free Lunch?"

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  But unfortunately that's what has been promised  (tax only the super rich) which we of course we don't  believe. ===JACK:  Taxing only the super-rich leaves you and me out of the picture.  Thanks for introducing me to the "Long quote!"

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  especially if the guy behind the tree is up to no good and using Dark Money to bribe politicians...===JACK:  Jesus said: "Render to Caesor what is Caesar's."  I wonder if Jesus ever paid taxes.===SP:  i suspect he did not as he had no steady income and owned no property.   i would imagine Joseph and Mary did.  ===JACK:  It's hard to translate our time into his time.  It was a different world.===SP:  i think we can hardly imagine just HOW different.   this is one reason why i have always liked history.   just what was it like to have been alive at that time in history?? ===JACK:  There's a hymn that asks: "If we met Jesus on Earth today, would we know that it was He, the man of Galilee?"===SP:    were you raised in the old Augustana Synod?  you seem to know a lot of hymns from both church school and weekly worship.  i wonder if our kids today remember any of those old hymns that we seem to cherish.  and camp songs don't count because i don't think they have any real "staying power"===JACK:  I was Augustana before I was Lutheran...and, yes, I'm part of a lost generation of Lutherans that is able to connect theology with Gospel music..   

    


FROM PM:   Yes!! I agree. And I worry it’s unhealthy for the person that’s in the position of others paying all of their share. I think everyone needs skin in the game to feel whole and to be a part of it. Few people truly enjoy the feeling of being a weight on others shoulders. But I think it’s so common in some areas that it’s just accepted. And I think I’m our efforts to “help” we’ve created a sort of disaster.  I don’t mean to be political- it’s not my style, I just worry about those that aren’t able to feel self pride and satisfaction. I desire for all to feel a deep healthy, happy. ️ Keep them coming! I enjoy your emails so much. Sometimes I race you to see who’s up the earliest. You send some of these out at a time that others might consider the middle of the night. ;)===JACK:  Politics...that which often divides Americans rather than bringing them together.===PM:  Sadly, it's true.

FROM DR J:  I’m with you! Public goods are the cornerstones of a democracy and they don’t come free. I think taxes are a part of what Kennedy was talking about and he said “ask what you can do for your country”. We contribute our knowledge, skills, and yes - our tax dollars, to make and keep it great.===JACK: I've never seen the Kennedy quote used in the way you suggest.  I like it!

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I'm with you, Jack; however, The Twelve didn't seem to mind the coin found in the fish's mouth?! 0;-)===JACK:  Money has corrupted more than a few of "God's servants." ===REV:  Yes sit! Just talked to a recent widow formerly of our church who was befriended over a website of sorts on the internet and let the gentleman have (she said) $500,000 of her lifesavings and suddenly has disappeared. I’m sure he shared his faith and godly practice with her before asking for the $$$$$$!  ===JACK:  I hate to hear of stories like this.  Is that why God created a Hell?===REV:  How a person could feel good about himself after doing something like this is beyond me. 0:-/


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I've traveled and spent time in many different countries, and I've always come back to USA happy to pay my share of taxes. We are truly blessed to live in this country!  A lot is wrong with is, but an awfully lot is right, too. Freedoms (esp. women) that many countries do not guarantee!!  I always vote in large and small elections, and I used to be an active volunteer in many services It's part of the ;price to live Here.===JACK:  I like it, too, that you have taken advantage of the "opportunity" to protest when you think that people aren't being treated fairly.

 

No comments: