Monday, December 21, 2020

 

Jack’s Winning Words 12/21/20 

“Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the face.”  (Victor Hugo)  In pictures I’ve seen, it seems that Inuit people are usually smiling.  It appears that cold weather just doesn’t bother them.  Today’s the first day of winter…the shortest day and longest night, and usually bitter cold. Writer Hugo wrote about his “winter” experience and suggests that laughter has a way of making us warm.  If you find yourself getting “the winter blues.”…try smiling.  ;-)  Jack 


FROM LBP:  Cats! Cats are a great source of laughs ... and annoyance... but mostly laughs :)===JACK:  I'm a dog person.  My favorite cats are in the musical, "Cats."  Have you seen it?===LBP:  My 9 yo sees laughter as his way of connecting with the world right now. He loves watching silly videos online with me and his dad at the end of the day.  He’s always studying to see what we laugh at most.===JACK:  Are the Three Stooges off limits for him?===LBP:  It was the first musical I saw and I loved it! Dad had the book of poems and mom got the music on record. Used to be I knew all the songs. It’s been a while ... 

FROM QUJILTING CAROL: We “smiled” when we saw your Christmas card.  I think we saw a whole new side of you!  Loved it!===JACK:  We started on our walk this morning, but the wind was so strong that we had a hard time standing up....so, back to the warmth and calm of the home.


FROM LZW IN ATL:  Merry Christmas!  I sent out my cards to all finally. In your card I wrote the old line "Take care of yourself" - thinking about you and my Dad during the pandemic. I got a little nudge and thought " Who really takes care of you."  My devotional today says it best -  To know why Jesus came to Earth, we must understand what it means to be lost. Without God, we’ve lost:  • Our direction. We’re bound to have little understanding of where we should go and what we should do in this life.  • His protection. We’re on our own when we’re not under the Lord’s protection. That’s a huge reason many people are stressed out. They’re trying to live under their own care and protection instead of God’s.   • Our potential. We’ll never know half the gifts and talents we have if we’re not in a relationship with him.  • Our happiness. We can have all the money and power in the world, but without God we will never have true joy.   • Our home in Heaven. God allows us to rebel while we’re here on Earth, but there’s no rebellion in Heaven.  You are in my prayers - I know God is with you and my Dad.  Happy  2021!===JACK:  I have a positive that we'll get thru this.  In fact, it's reassuring that your dad and I are in the age-group that is scheduled to get an early vaccination.  Meanwhile, I plan to stay in my bubble and resist wearing a mask when necessary.  


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Laughing our way through the pandemic as we try to discover “Who’s” on first!  Enjoy Christmas week, Jack, and the first day of winter. 0;-)===JACK:  Did your "sense" of what was humorous change when you went from the bowling alley to the pulpit?  I had a church member who would always refer to the wise men as the 3 wise guys...and they he'd laugh.===REV:  I remember in one of Bible College classes where I asked if the instructor had heard that Oral Roberts University had sent out a long play record of Christmas music to its supporters but many were returned as the hole in the middle of the record kept healing and closing. I was corrected in front of the class by the instructor saying that was being sac-religious. 0:-/===JACK: That was a funny joke.  That instructor probably would have beeen aghast at was said and done by the bowling crowd.  You should have the instructor if he thought that Jesus ever told a joke...or laughed.


FROM HONEST JOHN:  Have you ever run across a pissed off Inuit?     Not a pretty sight!===JACK:  Eeww!  I had originally used "Eskimo," but my editor (son David), who is more politically correct than I am, changed it to Inuit.


FROM INDY GENIE:  I love winter! I love the cold weather and snow ...it makes me smile. I also like wearing winter clothes...especially hats:)===JACK:  You probably like the cold weather, because you were born in "cold weather" country, like the Inuits.


FROM LK IN OH:  Thank you, Jack! I have long regarded WINNING WORDS as its own Christmas each day! I am grateful!   Now it happens that this morning's mail brings a really cute card from you and Joan. Great!!  I would say the Tigers, perhaps also the Wolverines, have a better chance of recovering than does my old/former GOP. Note: I became a registered Independent years ago when I volunteered for our former Ohio Governor, John Kasich.  Indeed, FOLLOW THE STAR!!!===JACK:  I think that each of us needs a positive start for the day...so, Winning Words continues as long as..


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  .There is no doubt a good laugh is  good for the soul, the digestion, and every thing else!  I just got your Xmas card mailed today!! Praying it reaches before Christmas!!  I'm slower than usual right now.... I saw a comment that made me smile: "Retailers say this promises to be the best Christmas ever:  I thought the First One was...." :-).===JACK:  I think that the USPS has not recovered from the shenanigans going on prior to the elections.  Don't worry about my card getting to me on time...unless you sent it to Minnesota.  One of my daughters forwards Michigan mail to me until we go to Michigan at end of January..  My latest Christmas "bug" is that people focus so much on the "baby"...and lose sight of what the baby said and did as an adult.  So....what else is new? 

 

No comments: