Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 12/15/20

“One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.”  (Jack Kerouac-poet)  I have great admiration for writers…particularly poets.  To be able to say a lot in a few words is a gift.  Ogden Nash makes me laugh: The Perfect Husband : “He tells you when you’ve got on too much lipstick – And helps you with your girdle when your hips stick.”  (Do people still wear girdles?)  One of my goals for Winning Words is to write something worthy without being wordy.  ;-)  Jack  


FROM CZB IN NEW HAMPSHIRE:    Good morning!  Ogden Nash’s home is two doors down from ours. He used to write in the barn that was next door. Lots of fun history where I live. Our house was built in 1890. It used to be the guest house for a stately house across the street.   And to answer your question, girdles have been replaced by “foundation” garments, the category leader is Spanx. It’s huge business! Everyone still wants to look thinner than they might be!===JACK:  If only Ogden were living today...You could show him Winning Words.  As for girdles, I know that the word is passe.  I won't say it out loud, but I think that the POTUS wears spandex.  I wonder who helps put it on?===CZB:  Oh my gosh, that is a visual I could have done without!!!! hahahaha!===JACK:  At the golf course he let's it all hang out.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  "Always a challenge for the better preachers . . . when younger, I thought the sermon had to be 40 minutes to be worth its salt, and then I grew wiser?!" 0;-)===JACK:  When I started out my mentor was "20 minute-Tillberg", known for his short sermons.  I've since cut down to 10 to 12 minutes.  


FROM RS IN SAMN:  And you succeed.  Thank dear Jack, for being part of my quiet time with God.  Blessings. ===JACK:  Sometimes, I wish that Winning Words could be like Face-Time when we could have time to talk back and forth.


FROM RS IN TEXAS:   Goal achieved.===JACK:  Thx


FROM FUNERAL DIRECTOR:  Jack, you do, every day that we are blessed with an edition.  ===JACK:  Thanks for the good words.  Are eulogies just for the dead? ===FD:  What a great question!  I think a lot of folks today need to hear their eulogies now!  You’ve got me thinking……===JACK:  Success!  WWs is designed to make people think.


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  O. Nash also had a great toast for a wedding couple which i have used many times:  When you are wrong, admit it.  And when you are right, forget it!    rather wise words i do believe.   take care,===JACK:  For a toast, I  though you'd use another Nashism..."Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker," 


FROM LK IN OH:  Covid notwithstanding. . . . ."Merry Christmas" abounds!  Jack, I hope you are healthy in all respects.  May God continue to bless you and all those you love!===JACK:  Thanks for the Xmas Greeting.  I havw ni qualms about writing Xmas...because of my Greek language classes.  It was in one of my early sessions that I leaned that X was the first letter in the Greek word for Christ....Xmas: the same as Christmas.


FROM DAZ IN COLORADO"  :  W W  are never wordy and very concise also thought provoking  ===JACK:  It helps to work with an edit0or, like David. 


FROM VGW MARY:  Always worthy, never wordy===JACK:  Congratulations!  You were the first one to notice...worthy...wordy.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I no longer wear a girdle! As Jack Nicholson said you can only hold your stomach in for so many years! Ha!===JACK:  How about lipstick?  Do you remember when you first tried it?===OAKS:  Very soft colors of lipstick for special occasions in 8th grade;; More vibrant as we went high school, which was 10th - 12th grades in Moline, as you know.===JACK:  Lips that touched lipstick never touched mine until sometime after high school (maybe after seminary...I can't remember HAHA).


FROM NELLIE:  John Freed's words are worthy in any length so far as I'm concerned. You and your WINNING WORDS are one of the short list of blessings in 2020!===JACK:  Just like a sermon...long enough to make the poit; short enough to keep the interest.



1 comment:

Jeff Peterson said...

I think you succeed at achieving your goal, Jack. Your blog/email is usually the first thing I read each morning. I share many of them with my kids and occasionally some select friends, as appropriate. Thank you for your words!