Wednesday, December 02, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 12/2/20  “How’d you like to take a rollicking  journey in the footsteps of history’s greatest thinkers to discover practical lessons for today’s unsettled times?” (Book Review)  Eric Weiner’s new book, The Socrates Express (Life Lessons from Dead Philosophers) might be the one for you.  It takes Epicurus to Gandhi and Thoreau to Beauvoir and has them take on new life…and, it’s not bubblegum philosophy, either.  ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Curious...was Jesus mentioned as one who presented a life appealing philosophy of life...you and I looked at Him through His deity as others only his philosophy of life?  By the way...because of your acknowledgment of “National Giving Day” yesterday, I was moved to help to help a mother  ===JACK:   I don't believe that I've seen Jesus listed among philosophers in my studies (maybe in a broad listing).  What I have come to see...Jesus as God's creation of a human form to show us the perfection that humans can live...to show us, in a human form, what God is like. 

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Fun!!!! Added to my book list.  Thanks===JACK:  So many books...so little time...so, we make lists of what to get to, sometime. ===EP:  I’m into audiobooks now.  I can do stuff around here and get educated at the same time. Right now I’m listening to Obama narrate his new book A Promised Land. So interesting!!!

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  sounds interesting... have you read it?===JACK:  No, I have not.  I'm taking the word of a Princeton friend of mine who has read it and thought that I might enjoy iy, too.  Bad eyesight limits my enjoyment of reading.

FROM GDJ IN THE WI WOODS:  Thanks for the recommendation, think I'll give it a try.  Hope you are well and safe from The Plague as well as your family. I continue to admire you and your ministry of positivity each morning. Especially these past few months of American divisions. My mantra continues to be Luther's insight that we "are in, not of this world."  About a year ago I was told I had 3 major blockages and should have triple bypass immediately. Fortunately, mainly because of my daughter 's health care expertise and connections, I was spared the surgery and with medication changes am living life fully. BUT, it puts me in the stay away from Covid-19 exposure big time.  So, God's kronos took over and in a confluence of divine interventions my wife and I moved from a very urban and wonderful neighborhood and neighbors, our kids and 4 grandkids (and 1 on the way) to the middle of the woods, 150 miles north.  We live on 10 acres of hardwood forest down a dirt road south of Egg Harbor in Door County. The isolation is a gift. It has helped us both embrace our inner introverts. After all those years as public personas as teacher and pastor we are blissfully and peacefully living lives much more authentic.  Church in any conventional sense has disappeared. Luckily we live in a cathedral of trees so we do have a church "building" to attend. Granted, our fellow parishioners are of the furry and winged variety but they bring us delight and joy without having to pass the peace.  I do miss the holy moment of the sacrament when, shoulder to shoulder we knelt with the humble and often desperate hope that bread and wine were much more than bread and wine. The real presence of Christ "in, with and under" the elements. But. I'll trade it for this life. For now.  I celebrate our now long ago coming together as colleagues and friends. With your gently mentoring my fear and anger as a young pastor in a very challenging call. Starting every day with your almost monolithic hope is a gift.===JACK:  I am humbled...and then I remember that it's not me, but God working thru us.  We had some good times in the presence of God. 

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Have you read this one already or is it ia work in progress?===JACK:  At this point in life, I find myself passing on recommendations from friends that I trust.  There are many good lessons hidden in the words of dead philosophers.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Now THAT would be interesting.===JACK:  Speaking of being interesting...Joan's brother was VN vet  and kept a diary while he was there.  I've been reading it.   He was a sgt in the middle of things.  A "Honor Flight" to the Viet Nam Memorial in DC helped him comes to grips with what he had experienced.

 



 

  


No comments: