Monday, November 23, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 11/23/20

“Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.”  (Henry Royce)  I’d like to own a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost (or at least drive one).  “At 60 mph the loudest noise it makes is from the electric clock.”  Engineers at Rolls and Royce were always striving for perfection in their manufacturing.  “Take the best that exists and make it better.”  What if we did that with our lives?  …to take our God-given body and mind and make them better.  It can happen if we will it to happen.  ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST  JOHN:      Prof. Holcomb taught that to us in the Augie debate program....”Strive for Excellence.”    A good motto.   My partner, Dick Smith, got to be about as good as one can get.    We had a great time together....traveling around the country, challenging the best minds of our era, developing cases, being awed by new things we found.   It was one of the great experiences of my life.      Btw....our Thrivent agent drove a Rolls Royce.    He was really good at his work.    Peace and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.===JACK:  In my preaching, I don't think that my words were perfect, but I always tried to give the congregation something to think about and to take home with them.  Did you ever know of a pastor who drove a Rolls?  A pastor that I knew had a member who was a Cadillac dealer.  Ever year he'd get "a deal" on a new trade-in...so he was always tooling around in his Caddys! 

FRO0M ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:   do you recall a movie many years ago called The Yellow Rolls Royce?.  can't even recall the plot line right now. something of a travelog perhaps.   maybe you could google it sometime. ===JACK:  All I remember is the Yellow  Submari8ne...and I don't think that's supposed to be a travelog.    I might have an interest in Googling the Yellow Rolls. 

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Driving the Ghost sounds like fun - especially if it were a long road trip.  As far as owning one, even if someone gave me one, I'm not sure if I could afford the insurance on it. If you want to drive one, I'm not sure what it would cost to rent on in MI or MN, but it's "as low as" $700 per day here in Dallas.===JACK:  It might be fun for just a day....to say that you DID it.  As for me, I now rely on a chauffer named, Joan. 

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  I would add to Royce’s quote that things done right are also comforting, reassuring and satisfying. At the end of the day, if one can look back and know that what they did was right, they will be at peace with themselves. They will not have regrets or second thoughts about the events of the day. They will not have to try to remember any lies or deceptions from the day for future reference. ===JACK:  You drive a small KIA, don't you?  Have you ever benn in a Rolls Royce?  If so, how do they compare?

No comments: