Thursday, November 12, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 11/12/20

“Don’t tell me what you believe in; I’ll observe how you behave and make my own determination.”  (Alex Trebek)  My view of TV’s Jeopardy’s host have changed through the years.  I’ve always admired his intellect, but at times have considered him to be a pedant.  His bout with cancer has shown me a human Alex.  Raised as a Catholic, he was taught to pray.  He says that it’s hard being positive all of the time, but he believes that “a Higher Power” hears our prayers.  “Rest in Peace, Alex!”

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Alex will be missed. A real gentleman.  My wife and I when schedule allowed always tuned in===JACK:  A "real" gentleman is hard to find these days.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  thank you for teaching me a new word today. Pedant. I never knew what it meant. While it is early, I am sending you my first holiday greeting.===JACK:  Pedant has been part of my vocabulary ever since I began walking to work with one when I was just out of high school.  "He" knew all of the answers and wasn't shy about telling me so. 

FROM PM:  I had to look up what the word pedant meant!  I’ve often tried to find a word to describe someone just like this and you introduced it to me. Thanks!  I hope you are well and healthy. Thanks for continuing to send these. :)===JACK:  I am doing well (for my age) and look forward to discovering new quotes and writing about them.  I also like the back and forth with the blog

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Nice; thank you for the tribute.  He will be missed by many.===JACK:  I'd just as soon that they try not to replicate the program...something similar, but not the same.  It's like a congregation trying to fit the "new" pastor into the "old" pastor's image.  It doesn't work...most of the time..

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I truly admired him, and loved the show. A friend who was a contestant said he did sometimes flub a pronunciation, etc. and they had to do "retakes" to make it right, but you'd never guess that watching the smooth running of the show, as aired! He was so fluent in French, too, I guess because his mother spoke French in Canada. But he had class, and it was courageous of him to share his cancer experience with his viewers! I also appreciated how loving and positive he was in comments about his wife, always!  He will be very hard to replace on Jeopardy. I hope the show does continue!!===JACK:  I was hoping for some comment on his quote and my explanation of it.  It seems as tho people just wanted to give tribute.  That'S OK.

FROM CHIEF FITZ:  Thanks Jack, I learned a new word today because of Winning Words.  And RIP Alex.===JACK:  It's always a good day when we learn something new.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  could you put that in the form of a question?:):):)===JACK:  Is "A Higher Power the same as God?"

FROM DAZ IN CO:  Alex was certainly the king of hosts for quiz shows or any type of tv show. I admired the way he could handle any situation with dignity.

No comments: