Tuesday, November 24, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words  11/24/20

 “There’s another life that I might have had, but I am having this one.”  (Kazuo Ishiguro)  I think it’s fun to look back and consider the “what ifs.”  Maybe it’s fun, because life has turned out so well for me…because I did not 2nd guess.  I made a choice and stayed with it.  There’s a spiritual side of me that sees God in the choices I’ve made.  How has it been for you?  Have you a Godly presence in life’s direction?  Has it been luck, good or bad?  Would you like another chance?  ;-)  Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Just googled Kazuo Ishiguro and read a bit of his life and the kind of fiction he writes.  An interesting quote from him which you have chosen, an interesting reflection of your own as to your own life turning out so well, because you did not 2nd guess.  I suppose people looking at my life from a certain perspective would conclude life has not turned out very well for me--just guessing at this from the amount of adversity in my life--and they would surmise that I have been 2nd guessing at every twist and turn--but from my own perspective, I feel like God has continuously and with the constant attention to the needs of Jesus shepherding His Church been pulling me forward to a more unifying and faithful place in His Kingdom here on earth and also in heaven.===JACK:  I've found it best not to overthink.  Jesus simply says that the greatest commandment is love the Lord your God with your heart, soul an mind, and to love your neighbor as you love yourself.  In my opinion....you are doing this!  Keep on doing it and leave the rest in the hands of God.  He has a way of working out the rest of the stuff.  We can only do so much on our own.  Relax and enjoy Thanksgiving.

FROM DR J:  I’m with you... wouldn’t change any big decisions... life is good and God is great🙏️  ===JACK:  Sometimes we try to make and its choices too complicated.  God loves us and wants us to love others.  Enjoy! 

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Had this chorus in mind this morning before reading your post...in part, it starts out with this—“I just keep trusting the Lord as I walk along, I just keep trusting the Lord and He gives a song. Though storm clouds darken the sky o’er the heavenly trail, I just keep trusting the Lord, He will never fail!” 0;-)===JACK:  Your response reminds me of another song:  I have a song that Jesus gave me.  It was sent from heaven above.  There never was a sweeter melody, 'tis a melody of love."  Do you happen to know that song?

FROM SK IN SJ:  Hi Jack!  I still struggle about my first marriage not working out! I thought I gave it my all. I did have 4 beautiful children and that’s priceless. But in reality, I’ve learned a few things about myself too over the years! I guess, why question it? I loved and lost the battle. But many things to be thankful for. ?? Who knows!===JACK:  I'd eliminate the sentence: "I loved and lost the battle" and substitute: "I loved and gave it all I had.  In the end, there are many things to be thankful for."  Perhaps your trials have made you the fine woman that you are today. ===SK:   Thank you! I do believe things happen for a reason . I gained a family, an understanding that all people do not think alike, now I accept more and do have more patience. I am thankful for all the goodness in my life. ESP. Good friends ===JACK: At times it can be a HARD prayer, but it's a good prayer: "Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven."  There's a Table Prayer that begins: "God is great, God is good."  Yes, He is great, and  He is good.  

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  I've always said that while there are a lot of choices/decisions that I made that I would like to have made differently, I also know that every decision we make puts us on a certain path.  If any decisions I made hurt someone, I would ask for forgiveness.  But in the end, I have had a blessed life with a wonderful family and more blessings than I probably deserve, so no, I would not want to go back and change anything.  I will live ....and die....with the decisions I have made, and will pray that I make good decisions for whatever time I have left on this earth.===JACK (IN MINNESOTA):  What a frustration it would be be if we were given the opportunity for "do-overs"  in life.  We'd never be able to move on.  God's grace allows us to be forgiven for our mistakes in judgment.  "All have sinned and fallen short."  Accept forgiveness....and move on. 

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Ishiguro is a favorite author.  Thanks for sharing his quote.  Do you have a favorite novel he wrote?  Remains of the day?  Yes, as time passes it is interesting to look upon the past and think about “what it”?  for the most part I’m happy about the choices I made. ===JACK:  I must admit that I was more attracted b y the thought of the quote than familiarity   Macular degeneration limits my reading these days.  David has arranged for my computer have larger print available.  Regarding your choices....at least one has made it possible for you and I to know each other...and that was for the good, IMO.===BB:  8 short hours of audio should you be interested?  I loved the story.  Believe it was written before he earned the Nobel prize in literature.  I’ve not seen the film as I think the slow pace of the book given the subject ( a dutiful, devoted butler working in the English countryside) need time and pace that comes with reading his carefully chosen words.  Perhaps you will enjoy with your sweetheart.  It speaks of a culture and devotion that is passing over time…perhaps a romance of sorts?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOf86f_LIiY&list=PLtHslbztEEEeqEh11akkau4BofwfcYzxd&index=4  ===JACK:  You are amazing.

FROM MD IN BSF:  Life's so mysterious. We were not involved in the decision of being born or cannot decide to live forever. In between we are on our own and the joy and fulfillment of our lives is impacted by the decisions that we make as free willed children of God. One can only hope to be blessed with good parents, good health and maybe good neighbors, teachers and religious leaders.===JACK: Yes, life is mysterious, but when I include God within the mystery, it becomes increasingly clear that there is a God who cares for me, and while He does not control me as a robot, He is there when there are choices I have to make, and there for me during the tough times, too.===MD:    No doubt. Are the choices that we had to make any different from those who were disadvantaged.?===JACK:   I look for God is all of the events.....When I do that I see a certain kind of good in all of them.  Sometimes I need a magnifying glass.

 
 

 




No comments: