Friday, September 27, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 9/27/19
“Just as we outgrow a pair of trousers, we outgrow acquaintances, libraries, principles, etc, at times, before they’re worn out…and worst of all, before we have new ones.”  (Georg Lichtenberg)  Yes, I’ve outgrown some old clothes…and what else?  St Paul wrote:  “When I was a child I thought, reasoned and acted like a child, but when I became an adult I put away childish things.”  The old served me well….but as I’ve grown I’ve made new friends, read new books and broadened my theology.  Growing means change…hopefully for the better.   ;-)  Jack


FROM HONEST JOHN:  Let me say a good thing about social media....it helps you stay in touch with old friends....I was just home to East Moline....stayed in the new Hyatt Place ...where the IH factory used to be.   Impressive.    Could look out on my old hometown.....where my Grandpa was one of the first citizens....and my Dad was mayor.....kind of neat.   I have stayed in touch....really renewed acquaintance with some friends there thru Facebook.....saw a tennis practice while I was there ...took a tour of Augustana.....with Kai Swanson, Richard Swanson’s son....terrific young man.     Loved it.   Saw new Hanson Hall of Science.    Bob Hanson was our neighbor when he grew up.    His parents played bridge with my folks.    A great time.   Peace===JACK:  Congratulations to you as one who  has not outgrown one of the places where he grew up.  EAST Moline  was looked down upon by some, but you saw it as home"!   "Home is where the heart is!" ===JOHN:  East Moline is a bit dumpy.    I loved it.    My Grandpa had a small factory there....The EM Sash and Door Works.    My Dad owned the Feed Mill....held patents on his own feeds and milled Them there.   My mother was a teacher there and later on the School Board.   (First woman) And later on the State School Board.    Lots of roots there.   Cheered for the Panthers and played Football and tennis.    I had good teachers.    My sister still lives there as do my nephew and niece.I get home about once a year and feel a strong nostalgia each time.   I still bleed a bit of Orange And Black! ===JACK:  Did your sister choose EM on purpose...to carry on a heritage?  If so, good for her! 

FROM LBP:   The hardest part of moving was leaving my community behind. As much as my heart has ached, my bandwidth is only able to take in the new local community and can’t hold on to all the old connections ===JACK:  Here's a thought...You moved from community to community as you were also moving from one age to another.  When you were on "the farm" you lived among friends.  Now that you're a part-timer in your new "digs" you have, in a sense, part-time friends. As time goes by, experience shows that the new will become just another page in the memory book.===LBP:  I like that analogy of the memory book. I wonder if some of my emotion is not wanting to forget. ===JACK:  My sister and I love sharing memories from our past.  Is it the same with you and your sister?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Some of the old things are treasures though!===JACK:  Are you implying that you and I are treasures?

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  And you have done very well at, and by, that.===JACK:  I've become more and more of a positive thinker, looking good outcomes in bad situations.

FROM KF IN WB:  agree..........  always be growing!===JACK:  I like expanding....I've always had a circle of friends.  But my circle can always expand to include someone new..

No comments: