Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 9/18/19
“Even the great get greater by doing more of it.”  (Colleen Wainwright)  The word encore is from the French, meaning, “More More!”  The audience keeps clapping, yelling, stamping their feet.  The Stones heard it in NYC in 1972.  It’s said that Elvis never gave encores.  After he left the stage a voice would say, “Elvis has left the building.”  He wanted to leave them wanting more.   Thinking back on my ministry I never heard, “More More” as I left the pulpit.  ;-)  Jack


FROM VW MARY:  But your congregations kept coming back week after week, didn’t they?  Same thing!===JACK:  I did hear an "AMEN" once and my train of thought went off the track.

FROM MFL:  I consider your ww’s to be a modern day pulpit, I and many others look forward to them every day.  Therefore, you get encores.👏🏻===JACK::  I've still got to figure out how  to pass the offering plate.===M:  Ha!  Love that idea.

FROM PROUD MARY:  Garrison would say...”Lutherans are too polite to do that.”😉===JACK:  One member would usually say, as he passed by me at the door after  the sermon, "Good job, Boss!"  

FROM DAZ IN CO:  You never ever heard any one yell hallelujah or amen either  Lutherans just don’t do that. ===JACK:  I heard both when I preached at churches in the "hood."  At first, it threw me, but the shouts began to stir me up.

FROM PASTY PAT:  More, more!👍😀===JACK:  Sometimes Finns show approval with a brief, firm handshake and a deep bow.  Right?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I went from Methodist to Baptist, when my husband entered seminary, and the Baptists do occasionally agree with an oral "amen" (Depending on the church, and
congregation)  which takes some getting used to!  When Bill preached in the Black churches, he really got going, with the "Amen! Preach it pastor!! Oh Yes! Yes, Yes, Brother" etc. encouraging him as he spoke! Quite a lively service, always!  We loved it.  As my twin and her Lutheran pastor
husband agreed, "Lutherans do not do this".... much more formal. (But just as sincere!)  I'm sure your congregants would have called for "more, more" IF Lutherans did such things! :-)===JACK:  I was aware (somehow) whether or not the sermon "hit home" or not.  But, sometimes the ones I thought were clinkers were meaningful to some people.  I guess that there's room for God in the pulpit, too.

FROM GO BLUE LYNN:  Another good one - made me laugh!! ===JACK:  I sometimes put wry humor in my sermons.  My brother-in-law once tried to start off his sermons each week with a joke.  That didn't last long.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  That is because clapping in church is frowned upon!  Ha!===JACK:  They clap in our church after anthems, but to me, it's not a battle worth fighting. ===M:  They clapped for us on Sunday too.  But sometimes, it is not appropriate when they clap.  I remember years ago when I had taught my kids (Cherubs) the song “He Never Said a Mumbling Word”. They sang it during Lent one Sunday (They sang with emotions and motions) and at the end they “bowed their heads and died”.  It was deadly quiet as we walked out of the service.  They asked me if they had not done a good job because no one clapped.  I told them they were perfect.  If they had been clapped for they would not have told their story right.  There definitely is a time and place.   ===JACK:  You can be proud!  You taught the cherubs more than just music.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Well, I wasn’t a member of your congregation….people looking forward to your Winning Words each day is a way of saying we want more?===JACK: It's strange, but I feel the same kind of pressure to "produce" something worthwhile as I did when I sat down to "produce" a sermon.  And, I feel good when it's done and has been posted...and even better when I get the responses.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  just so you didn't hear, "less. less!":):):) ===JACK:  I was never accused of preaching long sermons.

.I

No comments: