Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 9/11/19
“The six W’s…Work Will Win When Wishing Won’t!”  (Todd Blackledge)  “Peter Piper picked a peck of…”  I like alliteration.  The six W’s quote is alliteration, too...saying that work requires work.  There’s a sign by my computer:  “Get tough…Get off your duff!”  Pasted next to that one is the Nike slogan…”Just do it!”  When there’s “work” staring you in the face, when you just can’t seem to get going…is there something that gives you motivation?   ;-)  Jack


FROM JUMAR:  Now that I’m working for my brother, I’m going to let him know about your quote of… “Get tough....get off your duff”.  My brother exemplifies your quote. I don’t believe I have seen a hard-working person throughout my career. He faces any challenge in front of him, and just plows through it. It sounds like you were the same way, and still are!  I look forward to your winning words every morning. Thanks for making each day a better one for myself, and many, many people! ===JACK: I think that it was George Washington Carver who had a sign above the door of his lab...God's Little Workshop.  I wonder if that work in a feed store?  A trip to your workplace is on my Bucket List.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  What a special day this is! 18 years ago I was going to daily Mass and Nancy called me on the way home and told me about the first plane! It is still hard to believe the evil! ===JACK:  On that infamous morning I heard the news while riding on a freeway in Detroit.  I can also "Remember Pearl Harbor", the news of JFK's assassination and the day when Malcolm X was shot.===SHIRL:  I can't remember Malcolm X.===JACK:It was on a Sunday, 2/21/1965.  My car radio announced that X had been shot to death by a rival Muslim group. ===SHIRL:  Work is not what it used to be! Now I just have a list every day of what to do! Life is a lot easier since I have a maid once a month! Enjoy each day!===JACK:  I, too, have cleaning help, but I wish for the days when I could do it myself...and I also need a to-do list.
FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Nice. I was think of the acronym (STP short term pain) which needs a promise so probably add LTG (long term gain).  STP/LTG. I was thinking in terms of saving money but could work for many initially unappealing tasks. Finance, diet, and exercise for example. STP/LTG. ===JACK:  STP reminds me of a fuel additive, but I like your acronym better.  This causes me to wonder...Is cleverness inborn?  I've never seen it offered as a class.===JON:  I'm not sure cleverness is inborn. Though, sometimes my attempts at cleverness are stillborn. ===JACK:  My "clever" ideas just pop into my head.  To work at being clever is not so easy.  To bounce ideas off of other people seems to be a stimulus.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Proper prior planning prevents poor performance.......Hows that for alliteration?===JACK:  I can't improve on that.


FROM LBP:  A colleague has this similar quote on his door “the dictionary is the only place where success comes before work”
Personally, when I need a boost I fall to the pomodoro method and set a timer. Alas my timer is digital and doesn’t look like a tomato, but it serves the purpose
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique     ===JACK:  I have another sign by my computer...a finger pointing at me with the words, "Hey You. Get Busy!"===LBP:  
I don't know if I'd want to sit by your computer. It keeps yelling at you.===JACK:  If the sign gets too annoying I just cover it with a Post-It note..

FROM LS IN WB:  God helps those who help themselves.===JACK:  Some people think that those words are from the Bible.  They're not!

FROM MARILYN OAKS:  I,too,, like alliteration and this one is a good one! As I age, it is easier to let a day slip by with reading, etc, as opportunity allows!  Maybe we've earned that! I t hink of a song round I used to have my choirs warm up on: "Only One Life, and it will soon be past;  Only what is done for Jesus Christ will last! so give your life, to 'Him who loves you best; Your reward will be eternal peace and rest." It kind was a reminder of what we are to be about!  Today I have a bridge luncheon, bell choir rehearsal, Bible Study and Choir practice,  so some days do keep me on the go! ===JACK:  I like the Seven Dwarfs song...Whistle While you Work."  It can be distracting to do that from the pulpit.===OAKS:  HA! I suspect that would be true! :-)===JACK:  I've sometimes interrupted a sermon to have everybody sing a hymn or sung.  While preaching about worry I played a recording of "Don't worry, be happy."    This week I saw a tee-shirt with a picture of a donut on it - and the words..."Donut worry, Be happy!"

FROM ADE:  My wife===JACK:  Wife...another W!



No comments: