Monday, September 23, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 9/23/19
“The aim of education is the knowledge, not of facts, but of values.”  (William Inge)  I used to think that it would be good for schools to have a course in “Basic Values.”  Now, I’m not so sure.  Whose values?  What teacher?  In reality, values are already being taught by the teacher’s appearance, choice of words, causes supported.  I guess that if you want a system of values for your child, it begins in the home.  My life was guided by that.  How about you?   ;-)  Jack 


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  values are more often caught, rather than taught===JACK:  We didn't always appreciate the "values lectures" at the time.  Retrospect is a good memory jogger.

FROM SF IN WB:  ‘Values Clarification’ programs were a big push in the schools in the 70’s. It became controversial and was eventually tanked. It was some good stuff, but really belonged at home. The modeling, reinforcement, making good choices, taking responsibility for one’s actions... that was all of our jobs. Parents, teachers, clergy...all adults in a kid’s life.===JACK:  I think that there has been an increase in diversity since the 70s.  ...and diversity in family values, too.  One size does not fit all any longer.  One thing that does annoy me is the tendency for some parents to try and design the curriculum.  That's the job of the school administrators. ===SF:  Ideal is when everyone can work together! But yes, we are all different, from different backgrounds and experiences. And our parents, good or bad, have had a marked impact on each of us.===JACK:  I suppose that the teacher can "see" the influence of the home environment on the students.  Sadly, not much can be done about it...except that I do remember "my favorite" teacher.
FROM HONEST JOHN:  Amen===JACK:  Between facts and values...I'll choose values every time.

FROM WALMART REV:  Wouldn't mind having teachers today stating the facts and values of healthy families making a difference in the life a child-- most-likely would be offensive to too many who find it indifferent and unfair to those leaving without such. 0;-/===JACK:  I believe that in the family and in the church...values are taught.  When the church (religious institution) is left out of the equation, a value system is less than it might be.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  values are learned at home.===JACK:  It certainly worked for you.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Pretty complicated..Republicans had family values as the foundation of their party? What happened?===JACK:  I don't see either party interested in promoting a value system.  ...and that's a real problem.  Lying, backbiting, hyperbole, "gotcha" moments seem to be  uppermost in the minds of most politicians.

FROM FM IN RACINE:  , I have been giving a lot of thought to all the evidences of the lack of commitment to work – I was out with a couple last Thursday night for dinner – we stopped at Red Lobster and the parking lot was filled.  We didn’t think much about it – we are all kinda handicapped, and every space close to the entrance was filled, but we made our way in  slowly, with a good hostess holding the doors open for us..  What we discovered once in, was that there were many tables vacant, but a large group waiting to be seated.  The problem – no waiters.  They are unable to employ enough waiters to use available seating – later, about 45 minutes, we were seated, and a neat young man came.  There were a couple of questions about the menu, and he said, “I’m sorry but this is my fourth day here and I am still learning.”  Racine, where we live has had, historically , high unemployment, but wherever you go here there are signs seeking workers.   We spoke to each other, about how important our training as youth, by our parents was in reference to work, and the importance not only to ‘make a living’, but how important value it is in terms of a sense of accomplishment and self.  We commented as we left our table how well the young lad served us, and we thanked him, wished him well, and for me, I left a tip of over 20%.  I know in my life that sometimes work got in the way of relationships – but I’m so thankful that the home in which I was raised taught by word and example the value of work.===JACK:  This story seems to fit well with the theme of today's Winning Words.  Thanks

FROM GINNIE:  Great message for today and always!===JACK:  I try to make what I write be consistent with the title: Winning Words.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Unfortunately, the "values" taught (often by circumstance and example) are not those most of us would put in the class.  I can see respect for others, the value of giving vs. taking, tolerance and the willingness to look at things from someone else's point of view as part of the curriculum.  By no means all encompassing, but perhaps an offset to negative things that may be coming out of the home environment.  Needs to start at an early age, too.===JACK:  Is that how it worked for you?  BTW, were there any kinds of value-instruction when you were in the military?  Did you ever have any contact with a chaplain?===RS:  I was fortunate- my home values were good - plus discipline in schools. In the military chaplains were mostly around the wounded and dying. I did not have any contact with one in the 3+ years I was in.===JACK:  There's no place like home.  There's no place like home.
FROM DB IN WB:  I totally agree. My upbringing had much to do with family values, church, decency. It seems that many of my peers seemed to have exchanged their early value system for something of a façade of being “cool”. The behavior reflects rancor, indifference, and being too “busy” to enjoy simple pleasures.  I am middle-aged and recently finished some college courses. I was very disappointed at the approach that the teachers reflected/impressed upon their students. One teacher told the students last fall, “If you want pot legalized, you had better go out and vote. If you’re not registered, get registered.” I looked at her with horror===JACK:  Values need to be interpreted for each generation.  I probably would not teach confirmation classes the same way I did when I was "in the business."  I'd still be teaching values, but in a different way.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Some parents decide to home school their children in order to control the curriculum.  I wonder if some do the same thing when it comes to Sunday School or the teaching of values.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  For some reason, when I tried to access your blog, I got the notice, "Sorry this blog does not exist". (twice!) ?!  You are right, when you think about this, core values need to be taught or "caught" at home. Unfortunately, many, many homes are far from teaching decent value, so hopefully teachers, pastors, or mentors pick up the slack!!  I know many kids who come to our church have learned their manners and social graces there, rather than in their dysfunctional home life.===JACK:  If you can't access the blog, try putting the blog address into Google.  BTW, my whole point is that values (for better or worse) are more experienced than taught.

FROM JR IN ANDOVER:  I actually taught a class in values at Orion Middle School for a short time.  It was not easy.  Would perhaps be even harder today. Schools/teachers can’t teach everything.
===JACK:  I'm glad that your parents allowed me to have a part in teaching values...but, of course, they were the main teachers.  You were fortunate because of that.  I still think that you could have been a good pastor.

FROM THE BUGMAN:  The values came little things we did in the class that stressed the value of life in our labs.  There had to be a very strong reason for killing (and no other viable option) to conduct such a lab.
You are very correct about your appearance and behavior in the classroom and the causes you support being a very strong lesson for your students. Also your respect and value your students. Jerry Seinfeld was asked in an interview why he always dressed up for his public appearances. He said it was out of respect for his audience. If someone is important to you, you want to look nice for them. I went to work everyday wearing a coat and tie -I felt like Mr. Rogers sometimes as I hung up my sport coat and put on a clean lab coat - but the students, parents and other staff knew I respected  my position. I worry some about the image of the teaching profession presented by many teachers looking like their job interrupted their golf game or a day at the beach.===JACK:  Times change, and so do customs and dress-style.  Most pastors today do not dress as I dressed in "my" day.  I can accept that...because I remember that I did not dress as my predecessors dressed.  ..and my sermons were shorter, too.


FROM BB IN CHGO:  Another good quote from you - I agree that a course on Values is important.  Some churches have a whole diatribe against moral relativisim, and “situation ethics”.  I think students should at least know what those things mean and have some historical understanding of the values our founders bore in mind when writing the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.  While now values are often left to teachers (or not taught at all), an awareness that people can choose to act based on a different set of values or structures or…can prioritize how they spend their time, energy and money based on something other than whimsey (isn’t that an old word), is important.   How could you play baseball, or any sport if there weren’t agreed upon rules? ===JACK:  Even churches from the same denomination can't agree on values.  Even parents in the same household can have disagreements on values.  My most success in teaching values came when I taught confirmation classes...and then I wasn't always successful, but I tried.  All pastors don't enjoy confirmation teaching.  Somehow, some way, I think that Mary and I were successful giving a value system to our children.  At least, it appears that way now.  I'm proud of each of them and how they have shared this same value system with their children.  

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  All of our morals and values were given to us kids by our parents and  grandparents and our Sunday school and church.  I didn’t need anyone else’s.===JACK:  I'm glad I also learned to discern.  Along with the good, there was bad in the world.  In fgact, there always is, and we also need to know the difference.

No comments: