Thursday, September 26, 2019


Jack's Winning Words 9/26/19
“Do not worry about being worried.  Difficult, but not impossible.”  (Johnny Appleseed)  It’s Johnny Appleseed Day today!  Johnny is known for establishing apple orchards in the mid-west.  He went around in ragged clothes, barefoot and wearing a tin hat, planting apple seeds.  He was also a missionary for his church.  My community was once known for its many apple orchards.  I wonder if Johnny passed through here?  Let’s all eat an apple today to honor him!   ;-)  Jack


FROM SHALOM JAN:  I preceded Johnny Appleseed Day by a few hours by having one of my favorite meals last evening: apples, sweet potatoes, and pork chops.  Yum!  Since my favorite apple, Gala, was produced long after Johnny's time on earth, maybe that doesn't count toward honoring him, though, in my book, he's a Person of Note in North American history.  :-)
===JACK:  I used to call Delicious my favorite, but now that I've become older, I like those that are tart.  Is MacIntosh one of those?===JAN:  I think Macs are some of the oldest and favorites for all purposes.  They say that when you bake an apple pie you should mix tart, like Granny Smith, with sweet, like Golden Delicious, for the best flavor.===JACK:  Did you ever go on a blind date and say: "He may have been the apple of his mother's eye, but he wasn't apeeling to me."===JAN:  Ewwww!  No!  Puns aren't punny!

FROM JLF:  I ate my apple!===JACK:  What kind was it?  No matter...you celebrated the day.

FROM KF:  I’m an “apple a day “ person. I believe it keeps the doctor away!===JACK:  It seems to be working.  You're another year older.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  i like Max Lacado's phrase.  " we know how many seeds are in an apple but only God knows how many apples are in a seed"..===JACK:  I've used that saying, too.  Only I quoted Schuller.  I wonder if it's in the Bible?

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Excellent!

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Wouldn't it be interesting if your apple traced its heritage back to one of Johnny's seeds.

FROM WALMART REV:  ... it just may keep the doctor away!?!?  Good Morning, Jack!! 0;-) ===JACK:  Are those old adages really true?===REV:Not sure: but they sure made an impact on our memory?! 0;-)

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  When our children were little we saw a wonderful movie about Johnny Appleseed at the Moline public library! Wasn’t that a great library?===JACK:  Do remember whose name was over the front door of the library building?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  There are still apple trees out there he planted!  Amazing! ===JACK:  It would be even more amazing if one of Johnny's ancestor trees was growing on your farm.

No comments: