Friday, March 18, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 3/18/22

“In a lifetime (someone) can live under many presidents, but a really fine teacher comes into (one’s) life rarely.”  (Eisenhower)   James Mitchner was invited by President Eisenhower  to a dinner at the White House.  Three days earlier Mitchner had been  invited to attend a dinner honoring a high school teacher.  He wrote to the President:  “I received your invitation three days after I had agreed to speak a few words at a dinner honoring the wonderful high school teacher who taught me to write. I know you will not miss me at your dinner, but she might at hers.”  In return, Michener received a very perceptive note from the President.  It said: “In a lifetime a man can live under many presidents, but a really fine teacher comes into his life rarely.”   Think about it – Presidents have come and gone, but the influence of a good teacher can change a life.  ;-)  Jack

FROM GF IN FL:  I know this to be true. Beautiful and insightful.===JACK:  At breakfast, this morning, i was remembering a college English professor who influenced my writing.  I neglected the thank her...and now it's too late.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  So true of those teachers I was privileged to sit under in those earlier years of my life . . . Posted below is a Scripture that has inspired me to come alongside (as close as possible) to the hearts of those God has entrusted me with over the past 50 years of ministry. I am blessed even today by means of Facebook having "Friends" that were and still are part of an ongoing relationship through ministry over these many years and up till now:   "I do not write these things to shame you, but to warn and advise you as my beloved children. For even if you were to have ten thousand teachers [to guide you] in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers [who led you to Christ and assumed responsibility for you], for I became your father in Christ Jesus through the good news [of salvation]. So I urge you, be imitators of me [just as a child imitates his father]" (1 Corinthians 4:14-16 Amplified Bible). 0;-)===JACK:  Paul was not only an evangelist, but he was also a "teacher" of how to live out your faith in the everyday world.  I gues that's our job, too.


FROM HONEST JOHN:   We have been fairly fortunate…..we have lived under some fairly good Presidents….one recent one was an evil human being but most seem to have been pretty decent folks….and have chosen good advisors….the same can’t be said for our church!===JACK:  On balance, I think that you could go "easier" on the Church leaders...not perfect, but they're trying.  As far as U.S. Presidents go, much of what they accomplish, or fail to accomplish is because of the Congress and the Courts they have to work with.  In retrospect, IKE was a better president than I thought, at the time.


FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Really wish I could share this with my 7th and 8th grade teacher – Mrs. Magnuson.  She inspired me to go into teaching and be interested in history.  A delightful women in the classroom and also outside that setting.   Thanks too for the encouragement to look up acronyms this week.  I encourage our grands to write things out when they send me text messages as I don’t try to keep up with all the shortcuts these days. LOL  I do understand though when they send me XOXO.  Hope you have a great weekend.  This begins three weekends of curling for us.  Bob is playing in the Men’s playdowns this weekend, on a Mixed team next weekend and the first weekend in April will be the State Senior Men’s Bonspiel.  He’s going to love all this ice time!  He just left to go skiing for probably the last time this season at our local hill.===JACK:  In your growing up years, what teacher was responsible for leading you to the faith that is yours?  ...and speaking of curling, the partner of Joan's daughter at work was a member of the women's USA Olympic Curling Team.   BF4L ===QC:  Next to my mom who was Sunday School superintendent all of my growing up years (and then some) and taught all of us siblings was Mrs. Meslow.  She, bless her heart, was our high school Sunday School teacher and a great role model of what it was to be a Christian woman. She took us through the Bible teaching us the stories of Jesus’ ministry and tried her best to show us how to apply that in our daily lives. She was a friend of my mom’s and after I was married, we became friends as well.  Cool that you had a connection too to the Olympic curlers.  John Shuster has been to our local club several times to curl and came down when the club celebrated it’s 50th anniversary to visit with anyone and everyone.  Brought his previous Olympic medals for us to see, hold and take pictures.  Some of others on his team have also been here to curl, but do it quietly.  Becca Hamilton and her brother have also been at the club but I have not met them yet.  Yes!  BF4L===JACK:  i had a hunch that you'd have a story.  You, among church members, were "different" in a good way.

 FROM PASTY PAT:  Please know that while I am derelict in general about responding to email, WWs are as important to my morning routine as that first cup of coffee!===JACK:  I KNOW how important that first cup of coffee is.  Right now I drinking Green Mountain Dark Road (no cream or sugar).


FROM GUSTIE:  Excellent.  Mitchner was my favorite author.  I have all of his books and have read every one of them.===JACK:  I like skinny books like those written by "Mitch" (Mitch Albom).  But...read on and on and on with the other "Mitch".  

FROM ST PAUL IN ZONA:  not just a good one,  Jack,  but a very memorable one!   thanks. 
===JACK:  Once in a while even a poor preacher can say the right words.

FROM ER IN SJ:  Very interesting quote on a few levels. Superficially, I think it speaks highly of Eisenhower's intelligence and humility. Thanks for sharing.===JACK:  I think that one of the toughest decisions IKE had to make was whether or not to start the D-Day invasion of WW 2, knowing the number of potential casualties......and what if it failed?

No comments: