Tuesday, November 30, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 11/30/21

There will be no medals or monuments for me, but I have loved one person with my whole heart and soul, and that’s enough for me.”  (Nicholas Sparks)  Let’s give a medal to Henry Timms of the UN Foundation who, in 2012, came up with the idea of a Giving Tuesday (5 days after Thanksgiving) when people, worldwide, would contribute to some meaningful charity.  Countless dollars have been generated in this way.  So many worthy causes!!!  Today I’m choosing the ALS Foundation, honoring my friend, Steve.  Is there a cause, special to you?  ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Our United Way/West Central Minnesota has created a friendly competition with barbershops raising money for their annual pledge drive. It is called "November Battle of the Beards." A barber friend of mine invited me to participate. Looking forwards for its completion and thinking about putting a temporary iridescent color on it to draw out its contrast. I'll be donating to its cause as well. 0;-)===JACK:  I've never had a beard nor a moustache.  I'll just continue to open the wallet. 

FROM SR IN SJ:  The poor and immigrants are among my top concerns! ===JACK:  It's too bad that the poor and needy have so many roadblocks in their way.  But the saying is true..."I may not be able to do everything, but I can do something."  A little girl was seen on the beach taking a pail into the water, filling it up, and bringing it back to empty it on the shore.  "What are you doing?"  She replied, "I'm emptying the ocean."  Thanbks for what you are doing to empty the ocean, one pail at a time.

FROM fACEBOOK LIZ:  st jude's... forever and always.  this year i bought my daughter a hat from "love your melon." 50% of their profits go to benefitting pediatric cancer and toward giving every child who suffers from cancer a free hat.  she's a moline maroon and huge disney world fan.===JACK:  I appreciate Danny Thomas for what he did to get the St Jude Foundation going.  A true miracle.  Truly, a worthy cause.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Several! The Smile Train, Special Olympics, Habitat For Humanity, The Chicago Chorale! And many veteran's appeals.===JACK:  I see Giving Tuesday as an opportunity to give over and beyond those charities that we normally support.  To me, that's what makes the day special.   

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Forgotten Harvest and Gleaners although I donate to many others. I am grateful. It is truly better to give than to receive.  Merry Christmas season Jack.===JACK:  I like the Giving Tuesday idea because of how it so closely follows Thanksgiving Day.  I also like it, because it highlights charities which might not "make the cut" when it comes top our regular giving.  I seem to remember that Gleaners and Forgotten Harvest are "partners," each serrving the hungry in different ways.

FROM SA IN WA:  I usually give to the Salvation Army. Dad told me how they helped the family when he was a child. He never forgot that.===JACK:   Go to Youtube and see a recent concert by the Salvation Army Band ensemble held at our church....Youtube: Holy Spirit Lutheran Church West bloomfield, MI Salvation Army Band Concert.

 

No comments: