Wednesday, November 17, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 11/17/21

“Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.”  (Martin Fraquhar Tupper)  Martin  (b. 1810) was famous for writing Proverbial Philosophy.  Winning Words is my attempt to do something similar, to find meaning in common sayings.  Tupper is the one who came up with the maxim that A Book Can Be A Person’s Best Friend.  His observation about “silence” seems  relevant to our current fractured society.  Sometimes the best answer to someone’s bombast is no answer.  In fact, whatever the disagreement, it’s good to remember that silence can be more powerful than words.  I write no more!   ;-)  Jack

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I have always learned that fact from reading the life and challenges of Christ, a master at "the best answer to someone’s bombast is no answer." I keep kicking myself at times speaking and answering before truly 'listening and calculating advantageously' if a response is even helpfully needed at that moment. 0;-)===JACK:  There are several times in the Bible where "Jesus answered not a word" in conversation.  I've preached sermons on the sounds of silence from Jesus.  Silence is a powerful tool. ===REV:  Just came across a quote from another FB post I received this morning: "Don’t waste words on people who deserve your silence. Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all." 0;-)===JACK:  That's a good one.  You could start your own Winning Words.

FROM JU IN NC:  In my silence, I am awakened to the sound of a falling leaf.  In my silence, I am aware of my neighbors grief.  In my silence, I become consumed with assured belief.  In my silence, I rejoice in my souls relief.===JACK:  I like this!  Did you write this yourself, or is it something you "picked up" during your life journeys?===JU:  It came from your inspirational "winning words" ===JACK:  Soooo, that means that I must like my stuff.  I like your stuff, too. ===JU:  Soooo, that means that I must like my stuff.  I like your stuff, too. ===JACK:  Good writers write because they have something to say.  Bay writers write because they have say something.


FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  the maxim I live by is what is of God will prevail, what is merely of human origin will fall down so we go our ways and be merry and trust in His Ways and I guess say never about anything because stuff we never believed could happen does in fact happen in weird unexpected ways.===JACK:  God will prevail! Good words to think about today when stresses come upon us.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  also useful when you know you're whipped in an argument... there is refuge and face saving in silence. ===JACK:  Some people love the "give and take" in argument/debate.  It's not for me.  I choose silence, or just move away to a quiet place.===LIZ:  you "give" plenty when you think you're ahead... i'll call this a win! 🍸===JACK:  My object is NOT to win an argument, but to learn from discussion.

 

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  Took my first flight today. The woman next to me was chatty and had opinions different from mine on a few topics that she brought up. I’m a bit out of practice being in the real world and took silence as the best option a couple of times===JACK:  Your first flight....ever?  Silence sends a message...as well as do closed eyes...or "Let's talk about religion!"===S:  First Since covid. Funny how my timeline has reset!===JACK:  Taking things literally can be a problem.  ...even when reading the Bible. 


FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  Well timed. You're about silence, with the fracture, you won't convince them anyway.===JACK:  How about: "Let's talk about quantum physics and how it relates to Stephen Hawking."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Good words to think upon this morning! I  tend to be a talker, so good for me!!===JACK:  ...but, when you talk, you have something to say.  Maybe it's the entertainer in you. 

FROM SR IN SJ:  Perfect, dear Jack!===JACK:  Only God is perfect.  I have such a long, long way to go.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  altho sometimes silence is also deafening... ===JACK:  Some churches have the children give a "noisy offering."  That's fun.  That should be followed by the pastor saying, "Let's have a silent offering, except for the shuffle of paper."

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  Reminds me of the saying:
"Silence can sometimes be misunderstood,but it can never be misquoted"===JACK:  May I quote you on that?


 

 


No comments: