Tuesday, November 09, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 11/9/21

“Life was made up of things you couldn’t control…Life wasn’t what you made it.  You were what life made you.”  (Sara Zarr)  Today I’m thinking of the many things (beyond my control) that have shaped me:  My parents, skin color, opportunities that just happened, nationality, genetics.  To a great extent, life has made me (and you, too!)  But then there are the choices I’ve made: A value system, friends, “when “to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em.,”, how to use my brain.  Even religion is basically a choice. The great philosopher, Mae West, once said, “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”  How has life treated you?  ;-)  Jack 

FROM DANDI SANDI:  Well said===JACK:  Someone taught me.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  you are getting really profound in your old age!   Warren Buffett once congratulated his audience for winning the Ovarian Lottery meaning you were born white,  born in America,  born with a healthy body,  born with a reasonably high IQ, and likely born into a home that had a good work ethic and that also valued education.   now,  Buffett said,  don't you DARE take credit for any of that!   was it fate or God that gave you those 5 determining factors?  who knows.  but the point is this: change any one of those factors (born black,  or with a sickly body, or with a low IQ, born in a mud hut in Tanzania or a slum in Brazil, , etc. etc.  and your life would be 180 degrees opposite from where it is now.  Jack,  we won the Ovarian Lottery and i thank God for that every day.  take care ===JACK:  Some things...I can understand.  Some things...I can't understand.  So many people around us talk as though they have ALL of the answers.===SP:  i forwarded today's WWs to 7 friends.===JACK:  My current "interest ^ talking point" is:  What will the Church need to be post-pandemic.  Mega-churches will go on, probably with smaller numbers, but what will be the relevance of the many medium to smaller ones?  We can talk about it, but only God knows!  

FROM WILLMAR REV:  I use this illustration often at AA meetings speaking on spirituality, "things we all have in common", comparing my father coming from a broken family structure, being raised for a few years by an aunt and uncle with no children, dropping out of high school, going off to war, meeting my mother when returning and being witnessed to by a man of faith in God and henceforth giving me a family that experienced God's fruit of living with this Higher Power of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, etc. Dad broke a generational curse of separation and disharmony with quality life goals and reminding those present they have that opportunity to do the same. I often relate myself as the "Prodigal Son's Brother" when dealing with my own shortcomings!! 0;-)===JACK:  What a great story about how life can change.  The revivalist preachers called it, "conversion," and so it is.  Always...it's the work of of God...but somehow it involves individual cooperation, too.  "It's a mystery!"  I recall the story of a reformed alcoholic who said, "God still performs miracles.  In our house He turned beer into furniture." 

FROM DS IN SOCAL:  Life has blessed me SO much, and undeservedly so. ===JACK:  Good or bad or in-between...who deserves the life that is theirs? ===JACK:  Thank God for his Grace===JACK:  It seems to me that many of us need a lesson on how to practice "that grace" to others.

FROM SR IN SJ:  Wonderful Winning Words and follow through, Jack!  I am eternally grateful for what LIFE has given and made of me. . .and sorry for every and any wrong turns on  my part!😀===JACK:  Yes, we all have our missteps, but that's to be expected as we learn to walk.  It nice to have a Parent who stands by and smiles as we teeter along...and is there to catch us as we sometimes fall...and laughs at our wobbling.===SR:  I love your response,===JACK:  I love seeing children take their first steps.  I'll bne that God gets a kick out of it, too.===SR:  Bless your creative and ever positive mind. .. .  I think you are right on God's delight before such a scene. . .

No comments: