Tuesday, November 02, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 11/2/21

“The highest reward for a man’s toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it.” 
 (John Ruskin)   My first job, as a 1st grader was going door to door in the neighborhood, selling copies of The Saturday Evening Post.  Who was to know that 30 years later I’d be going door to door trying to “sell” people on the idea of starting a new church in Grayslake, Ill…and later on in West Bloomfield, Michigan?  Life has strange twists, doesn’t it.  As you look back, what is it that helped cause you to be what you are today?  Eerie, isn’t iit? ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Jack, did you ever know Pr. Art Holmer or either of his two sons,  Peter and Richard Holmer, all three former Augustana Synod pastors (later part of the LCA, of course).  all three also served in northern Illinois congregations.   Art was my confirmation pastor in St. Louis, MO but moved to Geneva (not sure about the city) in the early 1960s to serve a rather large congregation.  maybe we talked about this before.  just curious.  plh   Art had a lot to do with my choosing to go to the seminary.===JACK:  I knew Art H in college and seminary.  In fact, the Holmer family is an important chapter in the history to the Augustana Synod.  Each of us is more than a drop in the pond.  Our ripples spread out across the surface of the water.  There persons (known and unknown) who have influenced by you. 

FROM NURSE SK:    My first job was Babysitting for the Neighbors. I think my love of caring for others prompted my Nursing career. I still enjoy helping and caring for others! 😊. Hope you are both well. Can’t wait for you guys to come back to Minnesota in January. I hope we have a nice Winter.😳🙏. I love your Winning words! 😊❤===JACK:  I've often been impressed when talking with nurses and how they became interested in the nursing profession.  Most of the time it has seemed to start with babysitting and caring about people in some kind of physical need.  I salute the caring nurses in our communities, wherever they might be. 

F️ROM GDJ IN WI:  Lots of things shaped me. You for instance. I used to come by your office when my frustration was boiling over.  You always calmed me down-always. And you taught me a great mind trick. Remember when you told me to make a private deal with myself to have a 3 year call in mind? “Anyone can stand it for 3 years.”  It was so liberating I ended up staying at A for over 15 yrs!  Thanks Jack. Life lesson learned from you.===JACK:  Those were the days, my friend!  I remember the car rides with you as we drove through Detroit and you showed me "the old neighborhood."  I learned from you, as well.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Were you apprehensive about knocking on the doors of strangers neighbors or optimistic enough that you were unconcerned?===JACK:  Apprehensive? NO!  Excited?  YES  I had it figured out that for every 10 calls I made, I would get one prospect.  Since my job was to get "prospects" for starting a new church, the more calls I made, the closer I came to meeting the goal.  Within a year, the church was ready to begin.

FROM DAZ IN CO:  I bet you were good at selling Saturday Evening Posts too.  
===JACK:  You won that bet.  Rigfht now I have another "sales" project in mind.

FROM SR IN SJ:  After 25 years of teaching Spanish language and literature as a required course, I decided to take an early retirement and got involved with opening Casa Guadalupe in Cold Spring to work with and for the immigrants who were arriving there, in unusual needs.  I had the language, the desire to be with the poor and the long time example of my Mom and Dad who were among the most upright, abstemious and generous people in my childhood!! 🤨===JACK:  You've still got it.  You might as well use it....to God's glory!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  OH MY GOODNESS! My grandson Billy Oaks, and his son live in Grayslake, IL! Sadly, they are not church members anywhere...Small world!  As I've said before,  My H.S. music teacher selecting me to be the student director in the Spring Concert at MOline H.S. helped me to decide to major in Music Ed.  I'd been a volunteer nurses aide my;Sr. yr in H>S. & was considering going into nurses training with some of my friends, I met the love of my life at Augie, so GOOD CHOICE! :-)===JACK:  Why not tell Billy that the original Bill went to college with the minister who started Shepherd of the lakes Church in Grayslake, and that he's a "Moliner," just like grandma.  And, he'd like for you to give him a report on what you think of it as a "God place."

FROM SK IN SJ:  I've often been impressed when talking with nurses and how they became interested in the nursing profession.  Most of the time it has seemed to start with babysitting and caring about people in some kind of physical need.  I salute the caring nurses in our communities, wherever they might be.===JACK:  The nurses I have know through the year are truly caring people.  Personally, I miss seeing them in their white uniforms, with a cap designating what school they went to.  Even the casual dress of pastors these days is not my "cup of tea," especially when there are performing the dutiesnof their work.  I guess the idea is to make them "identify" with the people they are serving. 

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Were you apprehensive about knocking on the doors of strangers neighbors or optimistic enough that you were unconcerned?===JACK:  I was not concerned in the least.  My job was to "build" a church, and knocking on doors was part of the job.  Prospect, or not, I was meeting new people, and I "knew" that if I knocked on ten doors I'd get one prospect.  Better than an office job any day.  Only one door was slammed in my face.  At each home I left my calling card and asked the people to pass it on to someone who might be interested.  It worked for me.


No comments: