Friday, November 12, 2021

 Jack’s Winning Words 11/11/21

“As  we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”  (John F Kennedy)  I’m puzzling over how to say a “meaningful thank you” to a military veteran today.  A computer site tells me what NOT to say.  Send a card? or some flowers?  Fly the flag?  Here are some things we might say…Thank you for your service to America – Is there a story you could share with me about your time in the service? – I just want you to know that I respect you for your service to our country?”  Too maudlin?...I think not.  Who might you “thank” today?  Gratitude is a great gift.  ;-)  Jack

FROM SR IN SJ:  What beautiful sensitivity you manifest, Jack!!===JACK:  I guess that there are certain qualities that go with the job that is yours.

FROM THE SHARK:  I took the test to join the army after I graduated from high school but I failed the test because of my limited English which was two years after I immigrated from Iraq===JACK:  How "stupid" to think that immigrants don't have something positive to give to this country to make it better.  Thank you for your willingness to serve.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  It is really important to appreciate and thank veterans.  Glad you posted these WW.  And I believe whatever goes on in our country it is important to lift up our highest ideals and aspirations for the justice and well-being of all of the people and not cave in to terrible hopelessness or dark thoughts of failure or something, especially the three veterans I personally knew the best, dad World War II, my brother Vietnam and Jerry Vietnam all came away from their experiences scarred but were able to valiantly continue to live the rest of their lives in constructive ways.  Jerry fared the best because while he was drafted, he served at the atmospheric lab in New Jersey but still the time was a great sacrifice for him and our marriage, the insecurity, the moving around, just the tenor of that kind of lifestyle.  For dad and my brother, they saw human bad stuff that impacted on them a lot, war does that to people, thank God they always remained hopeful after their experiences!!!  The sacrifices of veterans are great and it is good to acknowledge that and not ever to give up on our country after people have done all of that.  Thanks for these WW today, Pastor Freed. ===JACK:  Each family has its story to tell.  Each church family celebrates its veterans, too.

FROM CR:  When I was teaching, we took our middle school students to Camp Leelanau. Each night after a day of fun and adventure the camp director gathered everyone together to sing, talk about the day, etc. Each night he talked about the power and importance of gratitude. He asked all the kids to put “gratitude in your attitude” and you will make your life and the lives of others better. He then offered anyone to express gratitude to someone for something. Kids said the most beautiful and sometimes funny things. Lots of laughs a few tears sometimes. “I’m grateful Jack picked me on his team because he knows I stink and I never get picked”.  “ I’m grateful Susan took us on the dark walk last night because I loved it”.  On and on until he said it was time for bed.  What a great way for kids to end their day. A bit like prayer, yes?===JACK:  "Put gratitude in your attitude!"  I love it.  It's a "saver."

FROM RG IN AZ:  First, I pray that you and all your family are well and continue “livin’ the dream”  Second, I have no understanding of “posting”; only the knowledge of it. So, I am sending this to you in the form of a “reply”  There is a significant difference between knowledge and understanding. To know something is common, because one can get knowledge out of a book. To understand the knowledge is more uncommon, because that does not come from a book. For example, many have knowledge of the contents within the Holy Bible, and fewer have an understanding of that knowledge. For if it were not so, knowledge alone would negate the need for the exposition of the Scriptures.  The Gratitude that you search to express in today’s WW, is within the realm of Understanding. Wisdom is in another realm altogether; and it follows Understanding.  Thus, we need to pray for Understanding and Wisdom. For Knowledge abounds beyond even our recognition of all that has been availed us. And, as this is True, to what gain, has all this Knowledge we have acquired served? (See the current state of the world and Man. We are nothing more than Cain’s and Able’s descendants with increased technological understanding. Our behavior is no different than their’s; but for our advanced toys)  For what righteous effect CAN any of Man’s acquired Knowledge have, if righteousness has no hand in it? (See Genesis 6:5 as a description for such a state)   I am convinced by evidence in the Scripture (Matthew 13) that Understanding is also a gift from God alone. If I were writing alongside Martin Luther some 500 years ago, I would emphasize “Intellectus a Deo” and “Sapientia a Deo” as additional gifts “per Sola Gratia”. And I also think that Luther might have agreed and done the same. Either way, I would have made the argument with a mindful defense — and enjoyed every minute of his challenge!  As you noted in a conversation with me some time ago, and since Martin Luther is no longer available, you are on occasion my foil for fruitful debate.===JACK:  Thanks for your "e3ssay" on the difference between Knowledge and Understanding.  I couldn't agree more...especially when it comes to the Bible and its contents.  The same might be said "reading" world events.  It is not my style to "debate" issues.  I simply say what I believe, and if someone doesn't agree, I tend to restate it.  There's room in this world for points of view different from my own.  I'm glad that I majored in philosophy in colege rather than in religion.

 

No comments: