Friday, November 19, 2021

 

Jack’s Winning Words 11/19/21

“Eureka!” (Archimedes) As I was watching Jeopardy this week, I yelled out, “Eureka!”  The clue was, “What Greek word means, I have found it?  Early physicist Archimedes was sitting in his bathtub when the reason for buoyancy came to his mind..  It’s said that he was so excited that he jumped out of the tub and ran naked through the city streets, yelling, Eureka, Eureka!  Have you had a Eureka episode in your life?  …like finally understanding algebra?  …or understanding the meaning of G-O-D?    ;-)  Jack


FROM HOMELESS:  Nicely done. This was well worded, cute and fun from beginning to end.  Loved it!! 😍 ===JACK:  Eureka!  ...a compliment!


FROM WILLMAR REV:  Every new year, now-- "Eureka! I'm still here!!" 0;-) ===JACK:  Must AG people have a "Eureka" God-experience?.===REV:    Perhaps a little more celebratory in expression than that of the liturgical form . . . a good pastoral friend I had over in former East Detroit and before coming to West Bloomfield shared with me the Episcopal training at his seminary taught them to purposely keep their personal inflection out of the "song and sermon", presenting a more monotone approach in their dialogue (not sure if monotone would be the right word). It is heard often from our Catholic and Lutheran guests how much they enjoy the worshipful songs and at times tearful expressions will accompany their singing.  I’ve found we often miss the good lessons from the liturgical approach and calendar, especially in the Lenten and Advent seasons.   Obviously, a variety of approaches are offered and enjoyed in our churches today!?  0;-) ===JACK:  I can't speak for all Lutherans, but I've found that some person reference is not bad.  It indicates that the preacher is somewhat in touch with reality..  I think that you and I are similar tracks, although you might use "Bible references" more than I do.  Not, that I don't refer to particular texts...I do!  


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:   we must have been watching the same episode of Jeopardy.  it's one of my few favorite TV shows as it keeps my brain active (I hope!)===JACK:  When you answered the clue, did you run naked around the neighborhood yelling, "Eureka?"  I would not want to be a Jeopardy contestant (showing how much I DON'T know.


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  they usually happen in the tub... who knew?===JACK:  I can't remember the last time I took a tub bath.  I suppose that Eureka moments can happen in the shower, too.===LIZ:  yes, they def do.


FROM RI IN FL:  Shouldn’t today’s quote be titled WINNING WORD? (Respectfully submitted, of course!)  I applaud you Jack, for the enlightening words you always write, reminding all of us to think more positively and responsibly in all the roles we play. You have our admiration.===JACK:  Picky, picky...like a "detailed" person.  You're right, of course.


FROM SR IN SJ:  Not today, , ,nor yesterday, I fear.  too much pain in  my knees!  How about you?===JACK:  I thought that they removed the kneelers from the Chapel.  Was there a fuss about that?  I spent most of the day being driven from place to place by my chauffer.


FROM BULLSEYE:  My college friends and I like the Three Stooges version -   Eureka!  You don’t smell so good yourself!😉===JACK:  The Three Stooges...HAHAHAHA.  The Three Stooges Find Uranium (Youtube)


FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  How am I ever going to understand the meaning of G-O-D,if I can't even understand what Archimedes found in his bathtub?===JACK:  He figured out the reason why his rubber ducky was able to float.  I thought you knew that.  Now, as to the meaning of G-D....


FROM JU IN NC:  ..62 miles east of Wichita is a town called Eureka.  It may be a nice community, even at times exciting but I certainly didn't run through it naked.===JACK:  The first settlers came in 1857 and must have yelled, "Eureka," and the name stuck.  The town used to have a college, called, "Utopia," but it has folded.


FROM DR J:  You don’t smell so good yourself!===JACK:  You must have been watching the Three Stooges.



No comments: