Friday, September 04, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 9/4/20
“If I had the wings of an angel…” (Albert Brumley)  Children often enjoy playing, “Let’s pretend..”  A prison inmate probably pretended having wings so that he could “fly” to freedom…and a song was born.  Imagine now that you have the wings of an angel.  Where would you fly?  What walls would disappear.  It may not be with wings, but the Bible assures us that with our faithfulness God does provide surprising escapes.  Keep on believing!     ;-) Jack


FROM WILLMAR REV:  I’m keeping on keeping on here, Jack!! Thanks for the encouragement! I must admit, you good Lutheran’s have taught me a song I never grew up singing in church— “On Eagle’s Wings”...I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sung it or been ask to lead it while officiating a funeral for a Lutheran friend. 0;-)===JACK:  Thanks for referencing "you good Lutherans", but I've read that the song was written by a Minnesota priest.  Maybe you can meet him someday.===REV:  Didn't realize it realize it was this new of a song-- 1979 . . . always assumed older. 0;-)

FROM ST PAUL:  i also think of how proud people are in the Air Force after they get " their wings"    have a good holiday, Jack===JACK:  ...or, in the Christmas classic, "It's a Wonderful Life"...the famous line. "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings."===SP:  how many times have you seen that movie?  i think i have seen it 6 or 7 times...===JACK:  More than that...A story with a great message.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm having a wings experience right now, on beautiful Lake Tahoe in California! Enjoying 3 weeks with my family on vacation which will end with a week in San Diego again right on the ocean! Couldn't wing to a better situation, if we all stay well hi!===JACK:  How was the flight west?  Everyone masked?  It's interesting to recall how many church songs mention angels...mostly from the Christmas season.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.  (Jackie Robinson)  Perhaps now an angel===JACK:  It seemed as tho Jackie had wings when he "flew" around the bases.===JON:  I can't say I've ever watched a whole baseball game. Unless my kids or grandchildren are involved. While I appreciate some of baseball's stories the game holds no large space in my mental bandwidth. In general I love the leadership and lessons of sports but aside from football have very little interest. I actually don't care so much about football either. I watch some college games but it's never a must see. I find sports rather boring on the whole. I miss Walter Peyton the family man, the Bears? Meh? I try to be a Packers Fan but it's not a priority. A triumph story is engaging will Brady do well in Tampa ? Will Cam Newton regain his wings in New England? Was it team? Was the Pick of Cam Newton a waste ? Did he never learn to lead like Michael Jordan? 
People, egos, and personalities are intresting. Love Deon Sanders.  People are interesting sports not so much.  Have a great day sir, out for a walk typing this under a tree.  ===JACK:  Bah!  Humbug!  For me, it was a father/son thing.  My dad played "catch" with me when I was a little boy, and I did the same with my son and my daughters.  That translated into having an interest in Major League Baseball.  Having said that, I think that pro players in any sport are usually over-paid prima-donnas.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I’d be a fierce protector of my little family.  I would ask God to give be me the gift of large enough wings to cover them!  But, I don’t need too do I?  He’s got them covered! ===JACK:  From the Bible:  "I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings."  That verse led to the hymn: "Under His wings I am safely abiding."



No comments: