Thursday, May 28, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 5/28/20
“You cannot teach today the same way you did yesterday to prepare students for tomorrow.”  (John Dewey)  Educator Dewey (1859-1952), a University of Vermont grad, like my granddaughter Margie, would be right at home today.  After 2020, teaching won’t be like most of us remember it.  More classrooms will move to the home, requiring “new” teaching styles and learning measurement.  Even the “old-time religion” will be taught in new ways.  Post-Covid-19 will be challenging, but true teachers will handle it.  ;-)  Jack


FROM SF IN WB:    Dewey’s statement is so ‘today’. The teachers are heroes. Retirement is sweet!===JACK:  Education has to adapt to change...but it's still education.  Yes, retirement is sweet, but some days I wish that I were back in the business (with yesterday;s body).  There is so much interesting stuff for pastors to deal with.  I like excitement.

FROM INDY GENIE:  I think you’re a true teacher.:)===JACK:  I'm proud to say that you were one of my students.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Life is all about changes! Hopefully all for the better!===JACK:  Think of all the changes (and surprises in your life!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  My daughter has home schooled her two boys.  She got ridiculed, laughed at, shunned, and I could go on and on.  They joined a large group of people who home schooled.  Do you know there is a firm of attorneys formed to protect home schoolers?  It has not been easy for home schoolers.    But it was much worse before.  They were arrested, the children were removed from home, and shunned.    Our children were learning a “dumbed down“ version of history in public schools:  one of the reasons Kimberly and Neil were Home schooling their boys.    Now, we will see how many people elect to teach at home.  This will be a very difficult time in our history.  I wonder as I help my grands with their home schooling now.===JACK:  To each his/her own.  Just like with religion...as long as it's permitted and does no harm...===JUDY:  What do you mean as long as it’s permitted and does no harm?===JACK:  Old example:  Freedom of speech does not allow you to yell, FIRE, in a crowded theater when there is no fire.  If home schooling is NOT teaching what it is meant to replace (basic education), it causes "harm."  Children are part of society, as well as part of the family.

FROM THE FISH IN NOVA SCOTIA:  A young executive at the chemical company I worked for commented that in managing “what worked on me no longer works on them.”  He was regarded highly by those who worked for him as well as by his bosses, and later became CEO of this Fortune-250 company.===JACK:  I experienced that in the church, as well.  Just like in a shoe store, one size does not fit all.===FISH:  I think his point was not so much diversity but generational===JACK:  I would not teach Confirmation classes today in the same way I did in the past.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Most students do not get all they need through at-home teaching or  Zoom, especially elementary kids!  I hope they can return to face-to-face teaching in the Fall.
Reliable tests show that if a child masters reading in the 3rd grade, he/she will graduate from High School, if not, that child will likely be a H.S, drop out.  For sure, methods of teaching has
changed since I retired in 1990!! So much more technical skills available and equipment available we never even dreamed of when I was teaching Jr. High!  Yet our students got a very good
education in the basic skills and in music and speech, etc. Good educators do change with the times, and times seem to be changing faster than ever before!!===JACK:  Abe Lincoln seemed to do pretty well with home schooling.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I think that there is a fundamental problem with stay at home learning...and that is accountability....one will need parents to cause the students to take the time to actually do the lessons and learn....which means that kids with parents who have learning deficiencies....like lack of interest...will be constantly falling behind....and those are the very kids we need to reach with public education.===JACK:  Accountability...like at the Last Judgment.  Once in Art Arnold's class I turned in a paper late and wrote on the front...I FORGOT.  I got the paper back with a D+ grade and the note, "I remembered."  A the end of the paper was a grade of B and another note, I FORGAVE.  I never forgot that message of grace.  

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  After my mother died, we had a house sale.  Standing in her basement I was talking with a school teacher who had come with her college aged boys to find dorm stuff.  We got to talking about how she was finding it so challenging to teach kids at that point to possibly have 5 to 6 career changes in their life.  Not like going from a teacher to a professor, but from a teacher to a nurse to an architect , etc.  How were teacher to prepare them for these major changes?  That was 28 years ago.  There will always be changes and some just get dumped on us.  This has been a challenging time for educators to figure out to teach when not in the classroom; hard for the kids to learn who don’t have internet access or college students who don’t have lab time to figure out what the premise is of their problem to be solved.  Even more challenging when you have kids at risk with no responsible adult at home with them.  Maybe everyone will appreciate more what educators do on a daily basis.  I hope so anyway.  Thankfully we can all learn new ways of learning and worshipping – if we keep open minds.===JACK:  I think that most of us, when we looked thru "saved: school papers and projects, will see that a lot of home schooling was done to supplement what went on in regular schooling.


No comments: