Thursday, May 14, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words 5/14/20
“It is sometimes easier to be happy if you don’t know everything.”  (Alexander McCall Smith)  A  Palm Reading store in our area had a sign in the window: “Going out of business.”  I’ve never had my palm read.  I’m satisfied without knowing the future.  Doris Day sang: Que sera, sera, Whatever will be, will be.  I have enough to handle without adding my tomorrows.  We pray in the Lord’s Prayer, Thy will be done on Earth.  That’s good enough for me.   ;-)  Jack 


FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  https://youtu.be/xZbKHDPPrrc===JACK:  What a great way to start off  the day, listening to Doris Day singing Que Sera Sera.  I think of you, your dad and your daughter ...Que Sera Sera.

FROM WILL MAR REV:  "Good enough for me!" 0;-) ===JACK:  There's a song..."Into Your hands I am safely abiding..."  I'm for letting it go at that.

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  One reason that blissfully ignorant people are so happy is that they don’t know what they don’t know. In addition, they could care less. We sometimes feel sorry for people with no computer skills and no access to the wonderful world of knowledge that we find there, but that is really just a self-centered feeling of superiority. “How sad for them”, we think, that they cannot enjoy all of the posts and Tweets and other electronic mumbo-jumbo that we revel in. How can one know what the weather is outside, if one cannot look at one’s phone to find out? Their reply is, “Go outside and see.” How quaint.===JACK:  "Ignorance is bliss," goes the saying.  In other words, "I don't want to change!"

FROM TRIHARDER:  Almost like  "perfect can be the enemy of good."===JACK:  I'm reminded of the response, "It's good enough!"  A miss is a miss.  In sports, the TV slo-mo ruins the game for me.  Umpires, like players, make errors.  "arguing" is part of the game.===TH:  I had a brief due in the Court of Appeals. I finished it. It was perfect. Except for one problem. It was too long. (There were many bases for the appeal, many topics to be covered by it. I needed to get it down to 50 pages without extracting a page, a sentence, a word. That task was as difficult as writing the brief. ===JACK:  Winning Words, for me, is like talking a sermon and putting it into a few words.  That seems to be an   

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love Alexander McCall smith and have been reading him for years! ===JACK: I don't know everything.  In facr, before this quote I didn't even know that thewre was an Alexander McCall.

FRFOM RS IN TEXAS:  Sgt. Schultz must have been a happy guy - “I know nothing.”===JACK:  In fact, he did seem to be a jolly person, a pleasant kind of guard in a concentration camp.  In this life many people don't want to be bothered with the facts.  "No more virus...Just let me get back to the way things were."===RS:  Yes, and in my opinion that (ignoring the facts and warnings) is going to make this a major problem for some time to come.  A shame that so many don't seem to care if they wind up infecting someone else.

FROM ST PAUL:  the problem is that there are those who pray that prayer and really have no intention of having God's will be done.  its their will that they are most interested in having enacted.  and i am guilty too. ===JACK:  Hey there!  Look closely...It's THY will, not MY will be done.

FROM EMTSINGS:  I wanted to share something with you.  You may recall (or not) that Rick and I moved up here to T.C. from Plymouth several years ago. The thing I missed the most in the move was leaving the Bible Study group that I had been in for years down in Plymouth. I have kept up with several of the friends from Plymouth and a couple of weeks ago I was invited to join that same Bible Study group via Zoom!  The idea was appealing but totally out of my comfort zone, being as I am very untechy! But with the help of husband, Rick and granddaughter, Sara, I managed to figure it out!  Now every Wed morning at 9:30 I can see the same familiar dear faces and actually participate in my old Bible Study group!   I  have felt all along that good things can come out of our present situation and this has certainly been one of them! ===JACK:  I, too, just finished a Zoom Bible Study.  One of the "good" things about the "bad" virus is that we have forced to do things in a new way.  I have even come to like the online church service, especially when it's done in a way that doesn't try to be a duplicate of what we have been used to.  New situations can be teaching and learning situations.  

FROM MAILMAN MIKE:  Excellent advice, Jack.  I used to read palms, or at least try.  It can drive a person nuts after a while.===JACK:  I try to see God's presence in all of my life...even the unknown.  God is there, too.  There's a sa\aying..."Wherever I am, God is."

No comments: