Friday, October 21, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/21/22

“If I didn’t drink or smoke, I’d win twenty games every year.  It’s easy when you don’t drink or smoke or horse around.”  (Whitey Ford)  One of the first questions asked when the doctor gives a physical exam is: “Do you drink or smoke?” –now adding, “or use drugs?”  Evidence shows that “horsing around” also affects your health.  Whitey Ford was a great pitcher, but what might he have been?  Are there ways in which your performance in life might have been enhanced?  I could have eaten more balanced meals.  I could have spent more time with homework instead of “my type of horsing around.  I truly wish that I had paid better attention to what my professors had to say.  C’est la vie!  ;-)  Jack

FROM KK:  Thanks so much!===JACK:  The song, Wishing on a Star, says that "We can be better than we are>"

FROM CPA MIKE:   I often think about whether the past, present or future is of most importance in looking at one's life satisfaction.   There are always could'ves and should've but we knew back then how our actions might result and chose the moment. Looking back I never regret and looking forward I never worry.===JACK:  Looking back, I'm able to put mistakes and successes into perspective.  Looking ahead, I'm able to ac, having learned from the past.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Is asking what could have been productive? It reminds me of the Proverb about a dog returning to its vomit. I suppose it is the lowest form of learning. When my doctor asks if I am on drugs, I respond only to the stuff you’ve hooked me up with.===JACK:  Looking at the vomit doesn't mean that I have to re-eat it.  The recovering alcoholic said that God had performed a miracle in his life.  He had turned beer into furniture..  For each of us: We may not be perfect, but by comparison, we can be better than we were.  I wonder if your doctor understands your sense of humor...unless he/she is a psychiatrist.===GDJ:  My M.D. is a very sarcastic young man.  He understands.  Eating the vomit is another level; my point is even looking at it (often) is unproductive.===JACK:  I'll bet you generate some in-house comment after your appt is  over and you've walked out the door.  You are one-of-a-kind!

 FROM JU IN NC:  I am enjoying more of what I don't do by seeking what I can do.  Focus on God and quote scriptures throughout the day. It is simply amazing what a difference that makes.===JACK:  Challenges are good, too -challenges that can be accomplished.  To strive for unreachable goals is frustrating.  It's like with exercising...You start with what you can do, gaining strength to do what you once were unable to do.  What Bible verse inspires you today?  How about: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"?


FROM R LEEN:MG:   Thank you for winning words they help me through each day as I go on without Joe.===JACK:  Those were good old days when I was your temporary pastor.  Time passes and that bring change with it.  But, the God who cared for you then, is the same God who cares for you now. 

FROM ST PAUL;:  i surely resonate with your comment about all your profs.  if i was back in college today,  i would be 3X the student i was back in the 1960s.===JACK:  More horsing around, or less?===SP:  the older we get,  less.....sometimes much less:):):)===JACK:  Now they seek out the old stallions for advice.  Luther Sem still calls on you once in a while, don't they?===JACK:  once in a great while.   usually when they need a donation $$$  ===JACK:  Is your book required reading?  I'm sure that they could get some good pastoral advice from it.===SP:  sorry to hear about your vision issues.   i have noticed that my vision has also changed as of late and not for the better.   its remarkable how well you do with WWs.  i will now appreciate them more than ever.   have a good weekend,  Jack.  our weather today is amazing.  in the mid 70s this afternoon with lots of sunshine. ===JACK:  Things could always be worse.  I've found that, with the right attitude, bad things can have a way of turning into good.  Of, course we have to "push ourselves" to see that.


FROM SR RD:  ?????  I can't quite imagine your NOT paying attention to your professors, dear Jack. .===JACK:  You should have known me in my "horsing around" days.  No...it's better that you didn't.  In The Souind of Music movie it appears that all of the sisters weren't "goody-two-shoes."  Is that correct?. ===RD:  You are absolutely correct, Jack.  Not then and not now!


FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Amen to that.  But the horsing around was a lot of fun too.===JACK: Billy Martin and Ford were pals, so you can imagine what horsing around they did..  BTW, few people know that Whitey's first name is Edward.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Well I don't drink or smoke, and not much chance to -horse around, so what*s me excuse=.===JACK:  Maybe your halo gets in the way.  Did you think that, as a pastor's wife, you had to act differently?  Did you know that Whitey was only 5' 7"tall?..

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I am smiling.  We now have theories of knowledge or giftedness (outside of the church) i.e. you may have been gifted with superior intellectual skills or insight or “emotional intelligence”; people now see Michael Jordan or leBron James as having giftedness too – beyond their physical prowess, they’re able to “read plays” or quickly see and respond things on the court that others simply do not.  From my perspective, you have a gift of compassion and communication as well as insight.  I don’t know if more academic “work” would’ve enhanced your abilities or not.  These days we’re talking often about how much a. we don’t remember from school and b. how much we simply were not taught.  I learned almost nothing about the struggle for civil rights, the indignities suffered in the 20th century by indigenous people, etc.  I’m linking (below) an article I enjoyed by Jamelle Bouie.  I should read the book he cites, Walter Stahr’s biography of Salmon Chase but doubt I’ll find/make the time.  I had no idea how many subgroups and theories there were about abolition and anti-slavery during the 19th century or that women’s suffrage was in any way paired with or tied to these ideals (the “Garrison” group).  I truly don’t think I slept through these classes although I may have. mayhave?  ttps://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/15/opinion/slavery-politics-salmon-p-chase.html    ===JACK:  I happen to think that more time in the classroom would have spoiled me....or led me in another direction.

 

 

 



No comments: