Tuesday, October 18, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words  10/18/22

“My dad and my mom always told me, ‘Be who you are.’”  (Brittney Griner)  Before reading this quote I thought that Griner was simply a woman’s basketball player being held in a Russian jail.  Now, I know more about her family life and the values taught her by her parents.  In my “dessert years” I’ve come to appreciate more the values taught to me by my parents. While I never spent a night in jail, I did get a perfect attendance award for attending Sunday School.  I look forward to reading more about Brittney, and may if reflect the influence that her parents had on her.  As you reflect on your life, is there someone, or some experience that caused you to be who you are?  ;-)  Jack 

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:   it’s interesting for me to observe that the people who promote “perfect attendance awards” are the same people who lament the “participation trophy” given to our kids for just showing up at a competion or event.  As per your end question… my new three friends are people I would put       it’s interesting for me to observe that the people who promote “perfect attendance awards” are the same people who lament the “participation trophy” given to our kids for just showing up at a competion or event.  As per your end question… my new three friends are people I would put in that influence category!===JACK:  Being a competetive person means that I was the one promting the award. 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Most of us would credit parents and grandparents for our nurturing. My mom always urged us to be nice, and kind to everyone, not just to the ones in our gang...I think we tried hard to do that .===JACK:  I think that it helped that you were twins.  You were out of the ordinary...and people gravitated toward you.  

FROM SR RD:  I think so: positively, my Mom and Dad's generosity and love.   . Negatively, my dad's saying to me as a child when I wanted to "show off" my new dress, and that in church, "what will people think?"===JACK:  "What will people think?"  often reflects some of our behavior.  I sometimes misbehaved just to "get their goat."

 

 in  that influence category!

No comments: