Friday, October 07, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words  10/7/22

“We’re told that ’You can’t change the world!’, but the world is changing every day.  The only question is….Who’s changing it?  You…or someone else?”  (Michael Straczynski)  Straczynski, the creator of Spider Man, has also come up with another novel idea – “Have a rehearsal for your own funeral..to hear what people say about you, so you know who to invite and who not to invite."  But, time marches on, however it wants to.  But there are some things we CAN change about the future:  Choices we make that change the course of life; the friends we associate with.  God has a way of introducing the unexpected to us, to see our reaction.  Have you seen God directing your life lately?  ;-) Jack  

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  A lot of people mistakenly  think it’s a change therefore good. ===JACK:  I see God changing my life each day.  Surprise after surprise!

FROM ST PAUL:  almost all the time, in small ways and in large ways.  i think i realize this now more than ever before in my life.   just too many coincidences to NOT be God-incidences:):):)    have a good weekend, Jack.  we are off to Concordia College for my 55th Homecoming class reunion.  should be fun. ===JACK:  One reason I like the friendship that we have is that we can share remembrances, things that bug us, things that inspire us and things that we will only share between ourselves.  I appreciate our frienship.

FROM SMILIN' TERI:  WOW…powerful quote/insight.===JACK:  It takes a special way to "see" things in order to have insight.  God gave you such a mind, and you've used it well.

FROM SR RD:  Oh, yes! Today was an unexpected and such an uplifting day for us sisters, when, after our noon prayer, as we went to the dining room, our EMPLOYEES, each with a poster that they had made with messages and images of their  gratitude to us,  stood along the way clapping and smiling (while some of us more emotional ones wiped tears from our eyes!) Then, during lunch we were each given a flower; again more tears! and now they will display their 40 or 50 posters in a designated place for our closer reading! I either smiled or wiped my tears the rest of the day! The more we and our employees do so many such actions, the happier I am to be here at St. Scholastica!===JACK:  My mother's funeral service was held in the Catholic Chapel of the nursing home where she was being cared for.  Her church undergoing renovation, so the chapel was offered for our use.  After the service, as her body was being carried out, the entire staff, including the nuns, lined the walls of the narthex, and they all were singing softly, "Lord, remember me, when You come into Your Kingdom."  I'll never forget it and will always appreciate it.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Yeah: Doing what I can in my little corner which at 92 isn't much!! :-)===JACK:  Age is just a number.  Add up the things you've been able to do in your lifetime.  That's why so many people love and respect you.






1 comment:

Keynote Speaker Blog said...

During my recent speaking engagements, I had three people come forward. I asked them when you are in your coffin, and your family and friends are viewing you, what would you like to hear them say about you? The first guy said, “he was a hard worker and a good family man.” The second guy said he was a good neighbor and a generous man.” The last guy, having heard me speak a few months earlier, smiled and said, “I’d like to hear them say, look, he’s still moving!” Okay, none of that really happened, but I tell that one several times a month, and I always get a good response.

Back from the world of make-believe, Yesterday I was at a friend's funeral. He passed at 96 and was a real firecracker, always a quick wit. His son, who is also a friend of mine, speaking of his dad. told me after the funeral that “he needed to die.” When he said this, it made me laugh because I understood his meaning. So inappropriate, and yet his father would have loved it. Until the last couple of years, he’d been fit as a fiddle. His son was moved by the frustration his father endured with dementia. Although up to a couple of years ago, they played poker with us guys at least once a month. His dad had slowed down near the end, and I did not see him for the last few years he was in a care facility.

I do sometimes wonder what my sons will say at my funeral. Maybe “he needed to die” is a blessing of sorts. I do hope someone laughs.