Monday, October 24, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words  10/24/22
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”  (Stephen Covey)  I was curious to learn what it was that made Stephen Covey such a successful writer, lecturer and businessman.  I wasn’t surprised to discover that he was influenced by Peter Drucker, but I hadn’t realized that Mormon Church values played such a role in his life..  Covey’s success also came, because he was such a good listener, being alert to pick up good ideas,  He was also good at developing worthwhile habits.  Take some advice from Stephen - as you listen to people -  instead of trying to formulate a reply, try to understand what’s being said.  ;-)  Jack

FROM ER IN SJ:  Very wise words that cause one to stop and mull them over.===JACK:  Covey wrote a best-seller...I think that the titl was 7 Habits, or something like that.  Perhaps you've read it.

FROM GUSTIE:  Clem listened like that.  I have to concentrate to do that.===JACK:  Most  successful people have listening skills like thst. 

FROM TRIHARDER:  Ironically, I would like to consider that more carefully while listening to others.===JACK:  We should seek to be discimination both in hearing and speaking.  It's surprising how much I've learned by really listening. ===TH:  I've had to learn to distinguish between those looking for a response and those who weren't, most often friends. It's annoying when those listening to me want to inject their response when I'm merely looking for an ear. JACK:  I've found that true friends are not looking for an argument, bu nt are listening to understand.  At least, that's been my experience.

FROM SR RD:  AMAZING WOD FOR TODAY.      You are all we need  You give us all we need  Our lives in in your hands, Oh Lord  Our lives are in your hands. ===JACK:  The hymn, Amazing Grace,  comes to mind. ===RD:  .A wonderful response, dear Jack!  Of course, it's a new day and God is with us!

FROM BB IN CHGO:  So true and I had no id4ea he was Mormon. ===JACK:  You must have referred to Covey a time or two in your work...or in your work's preparation.  I've discovered that Mormons are often very moralistic people....in a different way than other church members.


  .

 



 

 


 

No comments: