Wednesday, October 19, 2022

 Jack’s Winning Words  10/19/22

“How we handle what’s ahead of us will be determined by what we learned from everything that’s behind us.”  (Craig Lounsbrough)  I once had a church member who regularly went to a fortune teller.  How about you?  Would you like to know the future before it happens?  Many of our worries are based on what might happen to us, We set up savings programs.  I remember the insurance man stopping weekly at our house to pick up the 25 cents payment on my life insurance policy.  What experiences have you taken from the past that have helped you become who you are today?  Often, on the first Sunday of the new year, we’d sing the hymn: “I know not what the future holds of marvel or surprise…Assured that God’s mercy underlies.”  ;-)  Jack.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I believe with age, we (hopefully) learn that quick emotional reactions are not always the best. When we can focus on our life's purpose, we less often confuse the seemingly urgent with the most important things. In 2004 I wrote, "treat your past like a reference library, not a place to live." Once we have a few years behind us, we understand slow kindness lubricated with gratitude makes the journey magnificent. ===JACK:  With time, there's a change in each of us, because of the experiences we've had, what we've read, who comes into our life and who becomes a memory.  As there have been changes in me, I've noticed the same in you.  Life goes on.  That's who we are.  I always appreciate your insights. 

FROM THE SCIENTIST:  to tame anxiety, I’m trying to train myself to recognize and stop what-if thinking. I don’t think I’d do well with fortune tellers. I’d likely over analyze anything they said. How about you? ===JACK:  In KH there's a sign on a fortune teller's house, reading: "Going Ou of Business."  I've never been to fortune teller, and I don't intend to.  I like the Doris Daay song: "Whatever will be, will be."




No comments: