Wednesday, September 28, 2022

 

Jack’s Winning Words 9/28/22

“A hug is always the right size.”  (Winnie the Pooh)  Generally speaking, I’m not a hugger (more of a shake hands-er).  But I’ve notice that more and more people are exchanging hugs these day, even in spite of the pandemic.  Why? Psychology Today says that there’s science behind embracing. A good hug (lasting 5 to 20 seconds) actually lowers stress and makes a person happier.  I suppose that there’s a feeling of comfort in being held close, maybe going back to when you and I were children.  Now, go out and give someone a big hug today (but don’t forget to ask permission first).  ;-)  Jack

FROM MAGGIE:  Good morning, Many years ago I visited a funeral home to see a friend who had lost a loved one. I subsequently heard from others that my friend was telling others about all that I had done for her. Jack, the only thing I had done was hugged her when I greeted her. Hugs mean a lot. Thank you, my friend.===JACK:  If we only knew....many little things have meant BIG things to others.


FROM PEE WEE:  A good reminder!!!===JACK:  I'll bet that you're a hugger, especially around small children>

DROM WILLMAR REV:  My go-to greeting and question when a hug would seem to be appropriate, “Are you a hugger or a shaker?”  For a time on Sunday mornings some years ago now, I put together and oversaw our ministry of H.U.G.S. (Hosts, Ushers, Greeters & Senders). As folks were leaving our services I would stand outside, thank the new guests for coming and offer them a “Hershey Hug chocolate” or “heavenly hug?” 0;-)===JACK:  If ever there was a hugger.... YOU'RE IT!  You're a big Teddy Bear.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  In Woodstock, we had a new pastor come who brought “hug” coupons.  He’d offer you a coupon and give you a hug.  You could choose to keep it or pass the coupon along with a hug.  They became VERY popular, and members had some good times and hugs.  One older lady told Bob one Sunday morning as he gave her a hug that he was the only human who had touched her all week… Human contact is very important. My family were not huggers until after my father died.  He fell off a roof he was shingling at the age of 72.  We learned quickly that hugs were important!  We greet with hugs and depart family gatherings with hugs as you never know when or if you’ll have another chance to hug someone you love – family members or friends.  Once you open your arms the recipient can respond and if not – a handshake works ok too, but I prefer the hug.  Hope someone hugs you today. I know I would! OOOOOOOO===JACK:  Our family members were no huggers.  I didn't have a hugging church, either.  I thought that it was a Scandinavian thing, but I guess not.  Joan's family always says, "I love you!" when they depart or end a phone call.  That also hasn't been a custom of my family.  Emotions are there....hiding.  In these days when people are being accused of inappropriate touching, I'd be afraid to hand of HUG coupons.

FROM DR J:  I’m a HUGGER!  Always have been. I make Kiki give me a 10 second hug because I told her it was good for my health ;-)  So I count VERY VERY SLOWLY before I release her ;-)  Watch out… I’m going to give you a big hug next time I see you ;-) But I will ask permission first ;-)  Enjoy this fall weather ;-). The leaves will be changing soon.===JACK:  I grew up, feeling that a hug was an invasion of someone's privacy.  During my lifetime I see hugging by pastors as more and more common.  I still shake hands, unless the other person comes at me with arms outspread.  "We are who we were."

FROM ER IN  SJ:  You've grown into a "okay...sometimes" hugger. I am so proud of you!===JACK:  What am I supposed to do when someone comes at me with arms wide open?  Turn my back?  ...or, when someone says, "I love you?"  Grunt?  Slowly, but surely, I'm adjusting...and it's not so bad.===ER:  True, I'll hug your front or your back. You are stuck.  Being uncomfortable = growing. Not always easy, but almost always good. -Still proud of you in St. Joe===JACK: It takes time...and practice.

FROM GINROOM7:  Thank you John! Enjoying your winning words! Hugs🤤 ===JACK:  Hugs must be a BIG thing on the westside of the mitten.

FROM SR RD:  What a beautiful message, dear Jack!  Thank you so much! I have heard and love  the  Indian group, who when they meet one another on the street say:  - "I see you!"   -  "Because you see me, I am here!"===JACK:  The next tome we meet I'll have to remember to say, "I see you!"  Maybe i can say "Peek-a-boo" first.===RD:  May I send both you and Joan a hug online. . .or doesn't that count?🤣===JACK:  XXXOOOO.  They simply represent the real thing.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  on occasion, unless the govt tells me i have to social distance for some hoax designed to take down western economies...===JACK:  When there's the danger of a pandemic I choose (myself) to mask up, whether of not I'm told to do so....especially in the airport and other crowded public places.  


  

 





 




No comments: