Thursday, October 08, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/8/20

“The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room.”  (Denzel Washington)  In the  movie, American Gangster, DW would “be loud” when he had lots of problems and “be quiet” when problems were few.  Don’t assume that loud is strong and quiet is weak.  Some of the strongest people I know are unassuming…and I tend to shy away from the braggart.  What’s  been your experience?  Is there someone who you consider to be a quietly strong person?  ;-)  Jack 

FROM THE FISH IN  NOVA SCOTIA:  I’ve previously mentioned my favorite prof, Gen. Georges F. Doriot. He was physically tiny and spoke quietly but had the complete attention and silence of around 85 strong-willed MBA students.===JACK:  I had a professor like that in seminary...and I learned so luch from him...like,  "when it comes to God, you can't unscrew the inscrutable."

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Mother Theresa comes to mind.===JACK:  I heard that she did have an "outside voice" and would use it once in a while..===RS:  Yes...otherwise most of us would have heard (and probably did hear) less of her than we hear of Hollywood celebrities and sports stars.  Instead of  "Keeping up With the Kardashians" it might have been better to have had "MT's Compassion in Action."===JACK:  As the saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Love Denzel but I disagree.  Sometimes the one who’s the loudest is just trying to be heard.===JACK:  Interesting!  As a mother n(or as a wife), have you ever yelled?  I'd be surprised to hear that you are ALWAYS meek and mild.===OJ:  I yelled a lot.  Coming from a family of 5 kids, if you didn’t let yourself be known you’d miss out.  As a mom I tried not too yell but I did when I had to.  Sometimes you had to make yourself known.  Walk softly but carry a big stick. ===JACK:  At the State Fair, did you ever enter the "Husband Calling" contest?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:   My husband rarely raised his voice but when he did you'd better listen ! All he had to do was  quietly withhold his approval, and our kids paid attention!  He was never a "paddler" ; he didn't have to lay a hand on them, ever, but they'd always strive to make him proud of  them! I remember an old Bible School teacher (It was a 2 wk. session of Bible School, which met in an elementary school in Moline!) who was so quiet, but very loving in her manner, who had a real influence on me at that time. I was about 10-11.She was old, and not particularly attractive in looks, but we all adored her! I can picture her; but can't recall her name! :-(===JACK: I can't truly recall, but I think that with passage of time there has been more and more of an emphasis on beauty.  Do you recall ever asking your mom if you were pretty?  ...or which of the twins was the smarter?===BO:   No, I don't. Jan in later years made the comment "You were always the pretty one"! I was stunned as we had never discussed our looks! She could always make me laugh when I got mad at her!  she was more creative than I writing programs and===JACK:  When doing your hair, did you ever try "Which twin has the Toni?"===BO:  Yes! We gave each other Toni perms! I think we were in Jr. high...ions . Our grades were always identical, except for a very few times, so think we had comparable "smarts", and we always enjoyed being together!


FROM SK IN SJ:  My Sister-in-law! Lynnell.  She was really a busy lady and managed her household well. She didn’t feel the need to brag about herself or her children. Her 3 boys are doing well. Sadly, she passed away last November at only 65 yrs. of age! It’s been a hard year for my Brother, Jim! They had many retirement plans which will not happen. Anyway a good lesson to learn! 😊===JACK:  Is it any wonder that the book, "WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE?" was a best seller?  Lynnell sounds like one of those good people.  The Bible says that our days are numbered and that we should be ready for "God's Heaven" at any time.  

FROM NORM' S BLOG:  There is an old Zen saying, “Be afraid of the quiet ones. They are the ones who actually think.”  Why should you be afraid of those who actually think? Because that thinking is sometimes turned into planning and then into action. The men planning to kidnap Michigan’s Governor are an example, although they weren’t the brightest bulbs on the tree. The quiet thinkers take the time to consider alternative courses of action and choose one most likely to assure success. They also plot a cover for their actions in an attempt to escape blame; especially should their actions fail to achieve the goal. Many times the loud take action without thinking and their unplanned actions oft go awry.  But, enough about the bad people. What about those who are quiet, but not bad. Taking the time to quietly think before acting or before speaking strengthens that person in the eyes of others. They may become known for being well spoken because they think about their words before they speak or they may be considered to be level headed because they do not rush into action before thinking. If you watched how former President Barack Obama spoke, especially when answering a question; you could tell that he was thinking about both the answer and the correct words to use. He did not speak in Tweets.===JACK:  "Bombastic" is an appropriate word to describe a loudmouth.  I remember a segment from The Honeymooners where  Jackie Gleason says: "You've got a bigggg mouth."  I liked that show.    

 

 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spot on!