Wednesday, October 21, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/21/20

“The only one I know who behaves sensibly is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew each time he sees me.  The rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them.”  (George Bernard Shaw)  I’ve changed.  Have you noticed that my Winning Words are a bit edgier than when I began over 25 years ago?  Even the clothes I wore then are baggier now.  How about you?  Everett Dirksen once said that people who don’t change are in the cemetery.  ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  a very good one, Jack!   thanks.   but my clothes are not baggier; their tighter!:):):)===JACK:  You probably wear your belt higher, too, as older men are prone to do. ===SP:  it's either above  your belly or below your belly!    as they say,  men get a gut and women get a butt.   not always true but often.===JACK:  Why should we care?...but we do. 

FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB: Heaps of thanks for Derxin quote.   When the mines closed I used his legislative model "TAX CREDITS FOR JOB CREATION.     We need something similar today. ===JACK:  Will we ever be satisfied?  Is there such a thing as Heaven of Earth?  

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  Sometimes events  bring back to the surface thoughts that were always there, but which had faded. The events which lead to the resurgence of the Black Lives Matter movement brought back our memories of, and belief in, the inequities and injustice suffered by people of color that had faded into the background for many. Complacency oft fills the void left when commitment and compassion fade. Jarring events like the killing of George Floyd serve to snap those feeling back to the fore. Few remember that the Black Lives Matter movement actually went back to the 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin and the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter was first used in 2013. America had become complacent again.===JACK:  I like the poem (set to music)..."Change and decay in all around I see.  O thou. who changest not, abide with me."

FROM YOGA GURU:  Regarding changing or being flexible-  I keep doing yoga - there is plenty of afterlife time for me to be "stiff".  😂  Hope all is good in your camp. We are being super cautious in this covid spike.  Love your words Jack .===JACK:  I relate to the yoga words, but the stretches and moves are too much for me. 

FROM PR MAGGIE:  : Your Winning Words are always a blessing whether for a challenge like today or humor that brightens our lives. Stay well my friend.===JACK:  Winning Words is what gives me joy and keeps the mind active.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  And who knows what the Taylor tells his wife?  I’d like to think he keeps it to himself...like a good friend would.===JACK:  That's especially true for a pastor and a counsellor.

FROM BB IN CHGO:   These are great when you’re edgy and great when you’re not===JACK:  We're living in edgy times, so maybe we need edgier words.  Something (or someone) causes me to write as I write.  One of my favorite Bible stories is found in Daniel 5, when King Belshazzar saw the handwriting on the wall...and what it said.  Now, that was something edgy!===BB:  Each week I take the NYTimes news quiz.  Today I missed 2 of 11, one of which was regarding new cave drawings found in Peru – the early writing on the wall?  I guessed that the drawing was an Alpaca but missed as it was instead a cat.  Share more of your faves with me.  I know you’ve been reading and pondering over it a long time!===JACK:  I think that it was the biggest cat ever know...something like 9 feet.  I may be wrong about the size.

 

 

No comments: