Monday, October 12, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/12/20

“Although we are in different boats, you in your boat and we in our canoe, we share the same river of life.”  (Chief Oren Lyons)  Lyons is a Red Power advocate for indigenous rights.  In this quote he points out that while we all have differences in size, shape, and color, we come from a common source.  I don’t expect an end to racial divide in my lifetime, but I appreciate the work of those who are trying to lessen the differences.  Are there friends of yours who float in a different boat?  ;-)  Jack 

FROM SF:  Yes, and I am having trouble reconciling a friendship with those who ascribe to values that I oppose and even find sickening. I have always believed that one’s beliefs define one’s values and character. So to support someone who is peddling hate, violence, greed, and divisiveness is contrary to someone I can call a friend. Those people are creating dangerous, even deadly rapids in my peaceful river. How do you handle this? Really struggling. ===JACK:  I don't know that my friends and I agree on every issue.  In fact, some of my best conversations with friends have been over issues.  I met a woman recently who was a Vikings fan and said (sternly) , "I could NEVER have married a Green Bay Packer fan!"  During this political season and the past four years....our personal value system has been tested.  I can understand moral and even immoral behavior, but amoral frightens me.  Narcissism is a personality quality that turns me off.  I choose friends carefully, and I hope that they do also.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Very nice.  Episcopal writer Barbara Brown Taylor uses a similar illustration in her book Holy Envy about teaching “world religions”  to college students.  She says we may dip into the stream from both sides of the bank or into the ocean from different places but it’s the same Source/water.  She also mentions that Christianity (for her) is the place to which she always returns and calls home.  In her mind, exploring the beliefs and practices of other faiths has increased her own rather than diminishing or diluting her practice.  Hmmm.===JACK:  I've been reading Taylor's book and like it a lot.  I've always been one to think that God is bigger than the compartments we try to stuff Him into.  I happen to have chosen Christianity because of the circumstances of birth...and because, as an adult, it helps me to better "know" the "unknowable."

FROM PROUD MARY:  Thankful to have friends in all different styles of boats and floats.🏼🏄🏽‍♀️🚣⛴⛵️🚤🛶===JACK:  ...and sometimes you're bold enough NOT to go with the flow.===PM:  or to rock the boat..===JACK:  I remember that it was fun to rock the boat and to hear the screams..

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  . It is easy to conjure up mental images of boats of all type, sizes and color floating or motoring along the vast river of life. One can even imagine clusters of people floating along on inner tubes (perhaps those are the retirees). But it's harder to imagine being swept along by the river with nothing, no canoe or boat, not even an inner tube; but, that is the fate of the homeless. They are still there, in the river that the rest of us are on, but with no support at all. Perhaps they are just floating on the surface or maybe frantically dog paddling to keep afloat.  There is a tendency to try to ignore those people, lumping them in with the debris that we may also see floating in the river; however, we really can’t ignore the fact that, “there but for the grace of God go I.” They are other human beings; members of our tribe of humans who need and deserve our help. We cannot sweep them under the rug or pretend that they are not there, in the river with us. There may not be room in your boat for another rider; but perhaps there is a spare life vest in your boat that you could toss to them to help. If you look, you may find that there are programs already in place in your area to provide some assistance and help to the homeless. If so, maybe you can volunteer in those programs or at least contribute to them.===JACK:  Whose boat is really the best boat.  It depends on different things.  Is it the safest?  Is it the one that provides the most fun, or the most relaxation.  Mainly, I want a river that takes me to a destination...place or expected experience.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I have friends that float on driftwood or even homemade rafts.  The bigger our boats, the more we can help.  The size of our boat also is influenced by the countenance of the captain.  I like the Dali Lama’s admonition, “Be kind when possible, and it’s always possible.”  The boat is not constructed only by physical material but by everything we are.===JACK:  ...and sometimes hurricanes like come along and our boat can be battered.  But, you're right!  It's good to have a captain that you can trust.  The Dali is one.  There are others, too.  I like the story of Jesus and the disciples in a boat on the Sea of Galilee.  Suddenly a storm came up which frightened the disciples.  Jesus said, "Peace, be still!"  The storm stilled...or was it the fear of the disciples that was stilled.  Suffice to say....we are all in different boats floating in the same water.  I want a captain, whoever that might be, that knows his stuff. 

FROM WILLMAR REV:  The river is pretty saturated, especially here in America!! 0;-)===JACK:  Which boat has the right of way?   Are the rules determined by vote?

FROM NRUTHC:  Good morning, Jack:  I’ve just gotten used to “black lives matter” and you introduce me to Chief Oren Lyons, a Red Power advocate for indigenous rights.  Where did you learn about him? ===JACK:  I was looking for a quote for Indigenous People's Day (instead of using a typical Columbus Day quote) and came across this one by a contemporary "chief."  Typically we think about chiefs in the Wild West, forgetting that the Native Americans still exist.  As Americans, we should be "ashamed" of ourselves for the way we have treated the first Americans.  In fact, we should be ashamed of our racism of ANY kind.

FROM SMT:  This is the America I believe in...We can have differences and still be civil.===JACK:  That's the attitude I bel;eve in, too.   Out with all of the "phobias." 

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Those boats pretty well let it known who they feel has the right away. I’ve noted in recent years the vote doesn’t weigh in as deeply as in earlier years.!?.!? ===JACK:  In the movie, Caddyshack, I recall Rodney Dangerfield speeding in his yacht with horn blowing and causing chaos in the water.  His behavior sort of reminds me of the Leader of the Free World....In the movie, it was funny.  In real life, dangerous.

No comments: