Tuesday, October 13, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/13/20

“Running Cross Country is the closest man will ever get to flying.”  (Joseph Vanderstel)  Olympic running champion, Paavo Nurmi, was called “The Flying Finn,” so I guess x-country is close to flying.  During the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s, Malcom Boyd wrote a book of prayers, “Are You Running With Me, Jesus?”  As I “fly/race” through life, it’s a comfort to know that I have Jesus by my side.  If you ever feel that life is turning into a rat race, remember that you’re not running the race alone ;-)  Jack

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  The description of Boyd’s book of prayers describes the era in which he wrote it as the “turbulent 60’s”. Having lived through those turbulent times, I reflected upon the events that were taking place that warranted that label. There was the assignation of JFK and later his brother RFK, the whole hippie movement and the drug scene, the Viet Name War and the antiwar protesting as highlights of the nightly news. I guess it was a turbulent time. Perhaps the times that we are currently in will someday be called the turbulent 2020’s .It is comforting to know that as one runs/flies through life, they do not have to do it alone. Jesus is right there running with us. There are many time that I now look back upon and thank Jesus for saving my bacon by being there with me. At the time I may have just thought that it was a fortuitous coincidence that I was spared some calamity, but upon reflection I can see the hand of God in my life, keeping me safe in time of potential peril. Even in times when something bad did happen, I can recall the comfort that I was able to find in my faith. I was not alone. There is a well known poet, “Footprints in the Sand” by  Mary Stevenson that serves to illustrate the importance of running with Jesus in our lives. There will be many times in anyone’s life where they will need to be carried by Jesus through the hard times – were their faith will provide the only shelter in the storms.  Few of us are runners and even fewer are cross-country or distance runners, yet all of us have the ability to experience the exhilaration of flying that Vanderstel alluded to in his quote. Believe in Him. Run with Him.  Let your soul fly with Jesus.===JACK: While the pandemic and the current political situation seem to be "once in a lifetime," you speak of the 60s and the "once ion a lifetime" that hbappened then...are there more of these kinds of events in store for us?  Who knows?  What we do know is that we are not alone.  We run the course of life with a partner by our side.  O...I forgot the TV series, the Flying Nun.  But, that was mmake blieve.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  When I tire of the rat race, it also helps me to remember that I am not a rat.  I am a beloved child of God.  You are, too.  Thank you for Winning Words!===JACK:  Speaking of rats (not political), I remember a book...Who Stole My Cheese?  I'll be Googling back to see what it's about.  I have a curiosity that calls to be satisfied.  Have a good day.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Nice.  Spoke w cousin Joanie Gennrich yesterday and we always remember you in the most positive of ways===JACK:  Have you ever heard the expression about coming from "good stock?"  You and Joanie come from good stock.  I think I know what that means, but I'm curious enough to look it up.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I loved that book...lost track of it years ago! :-(  Yes, it's a comfort to know our Lord is with us in this  crazy time!!!===JACK:  The 60s were a crazy time, too,,,maybe crazier.  Do you remember Kent State.  It was akso a time when DJT discovered that he had bone spurs.

FROM LBP:  Occasionally I dream that I have the ability to fly. In those dreams I usually discover I have an innate low G buoyancy and can float or bound about. How about you?===JACK:  In fact, I've had some weird dreams (Actually, I've recorded some of them in a notebook), but none of them have involved flying of any sort.

No comments: