Monday, October 05, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/5/20

“The last great freedom of man is the freedom to choose his attitude under any given set of circumstances.”  (Victor Frankl)  Forget about freedom to wear or not wear a mask, freedom to own or not own a gun.  The freedom I appreciate the most is the freedom to control my attitude.  I’m refusing to let “someone else” determine how I feel.  I didn’t listen to the debate.  I’ve already voted, so I mute the ads.  Try thinking “good thoughts” this week and feel the difference.  ;-)  Jack

 FROM MD IN FL:  
I like this one. It is very easy to get distracted and irritated by things that you can t control and really don't make that much difference. Like you I will exercise my freedom to live a happy life.  Let's hope that those we trust to lead us protect and preserve all of our freedoms.===JACK:  I dislike being manipulated.  One of the great gifts of life is "free will."===MD:  Ok strike the last sentence. Not my intent to offend. Still like the post. Have a great day.===JACK:  No need to delete.  You and I are on the same page.  That's why I like face-to-face over e-mail.  Immediate clarification. ===MD:  I am always learning. Just when I thought that the key to happiness is within me, I discover now that a boost from a friend is essential. I was not happy thinking that I might have offended you. Thanks for clearing that up.===JACK:  Facebook abbreviation fits here: BFF

FROM SF STILL IN WB:  Frankl was a remarkable man.===JACK:  What makes someone remarkable?  Are we self-made?  The people we meet?  Our experiences?  Our heritage?  How come you are the person you are?===SF:   WHAT A GREAT QUESTION!!!!! Thinking about those that were (or are) great in my mind (you) and also where I aspire to be...compassion, resilience, humility, selflessness, appreciation, joyfulness, forgiveness...How about you!?  I am going to post this question on FB and see what others think ===JACK:  My life has been affected mainly by people I've met and experiences I've had.  You have a place among the people I've met...and living in a religiously diverse community has certainly positively affected by search for an understanding of G-d.===SF:  Laughing out loud now! My swearing used to be seldom, but has escalated since 2016, when I predicted solely on the Hollywood Access tapes were released. “Holy sh*t...this man will never be our president.” Hmmmm...===JACK:  "Oooooo, Mrs F, what did you just say?  I'm going to tell mom."


FROM NORM'S BLOG:  We often hear the term “moral compass” these days, used to describe an internal sense of right and wrong that is seemingly lacking in some. I prefer to think of this innate ability to discern that right thing to do to be based more upon a solid foundation of faith. One must have the solid footing of faith to stand upon or else be constantly out of balance on the shifting sands of fear, uncertainty and doubt. If one starts from that solid foundation of faith, then choosing the attitude with which to face challenges in life becomes much easier. A person of faith starts with the phrase in mind from Romans 8:31 -  “If God is for us, who could be against us?” One can easily see how that is a solid foundation from which to build a positive attitude.===JACK:  The year 2020 has been a year for testing our faith, our basic beliefs.  I have found that to be a renewing experience.  I'm at peace (sort of).

FROM OPTYMATT:  I read “Man’s Search for Meaning” in college and it had a profound effect on my life. I just bought two copies and gave them to my son and daughter. Great book!===JACK:  What a great gift to give to a child...a book that expands their mind and helps to mold their thought.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  A Quote from Dr. Patch Adams (Who often dresses as a clown on his rounds with kids at the hospital): "I made up my mind never to have another bad day in my life.  I dove into a sea of gratitude from which I've never emerged!"  There is always SOMETHING to be thankful for, hopefully, so we can try to keep an attitude of gratitude, no matter the  Covid virus (!), the chaotic government situation, or a family rough patch. There is plenty these days to pull you "down", so choosing our attitude under the given set of circumstances IS crucial. Good quote to keep in mind! ===JACK:  I tell my friends that "it works!"  When I find myself bogged down with negative thoughts - I do like Maria did in the Sound of Music - I substitute good thoughts - and it's not so bad.

FROM CF IN KH:  Thank you for your Winning Words everyday in my email inbox.  Many times they help me see, realize or contemplate something I hadn’t been thinking about.  Every once in a while it’s something I don’t agree with or think should have been worded differently but I appreciate them as they make me think everyday.  I also share the most pertinent ones with my daughters.  On that note, you should never quit paying attention.  You state you have already voted so you turn off the ads, don’t watch the debates and I’m surmising aren’t paying much attention to information that may involve the candidates and could have affected your vote.  If you are in Michigan and have already voted, that means you have voted absentee.  Unlike “Vote By Mail”, when you vote by Absentee you can change your vote right up until 4pm the day before the election, you just have to request of the local clerk to Spoil Your Ballot and vote over. (I’m sure there are different rules in different states, I’m only talking about Michigan).  So you should never quit paying attention.  You never know when one candidate or the other may do something so great or something so disqualifying may come out against one of them that you will want to change your vote.  I just don’t want everyone that reads your Winning Words to think that once you have sent in your absentee ballot it is all over and you should quit paying attention.  We need to be ever vigilant with our politicians, even after our vote is in.===JACK:   Thanks for you lengthy, well thought-out response.  I pride myself in knowing lots of people ande listening to lots of opinions.  I need to make it a point to get to know you...not to change any opinions, but to just sit down and become better acquainted.  To further explain my voting...I take seriously my ONE vote and certainly don't cast it as a robot.  Some candidates I know personally and vote up/down accordingly.  When I vote early, it's a sign that last-minute aren't going to change my mind.  I was beginning to feel oppressed by "the news."  It disturbed my sleep.  It kept me from enjoying the beauty of life.  It was even causing me to think lesser of some of my friends.  So, enough of that.  I am not totally turned off.  I know that the President has the virus.  I still wear a mask.  I have a sense of direction for my country, my state, my county and my township.  My answers to Winning Words responders are usually short and to the point.  But I think that you deserved more.  Thanks for taking the time to write.  Maybe we can have coffee at Bosko's sometime.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I loved his book on finding meaning in life.  Wonderful thoughts for today.===JACK:  Books are wonder-full gifts to give...and to receive.

 

No comments: