Monday, October 26, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/26/20

“When I was young my teachers were the old.  Now when I am old my teachers are the young.”  (Robert Frost)  I remember seeing poet Frost read one of his poems at JFKs presidential inauguration.  I thought to myself, “This is a lifetime experience!”  What modern poet might be the future’s Frost?  I have a hard time thinking that it would be rapper 50 Cent.  Maybe the point of Frost’s quote is that we can learn from people of any age…as long as we’re willing to keep learning.  ;-)  Jack  

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL: a few years ago i got a traffic warning from a cop who looked like he wasn't even shaving yet!  not sure he had even gone thru puberty!     actually,  his voice was kind of high:):):) ===JACK:  When he got home that night he probably told his wife and kids about that old guy who was holding up traffic by going so slow with the wrong blinker on.

FROM ER IN FL:   Robert Frost has always been a poet that I have have a fondness for. His poetry typically makes me nostalgic and reflect on my childhood of country living.===JACK:  My favorite From poem is "The Road Less Taken."  Have you ever wondered what it would have been like to have taken a different path?  I have...but I'm satisfied that the choice  I made at the time was the choice I made...and I can't go back and change things.  Sometimes, in the marriage vows, it's said, "For better or worse."  It is what it is.===ER:  A television show that I watched after talking with you tonight ended with the actor saying,  "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." Coincidence?  Not in my world.===JACK:  Eerie, isn't it?===ER:  The Road Not Taken was the first Frost Poem that I was introduced to. I fell in love immediately, but as my experience with the poet grew I became enthralled with The Mending Wall. The first half of the poem reminds me of growing up on the farm. Fences always needed mending even though they we seemingly untouched. The pictures Frost paints, and the solutions to dismantling walls/fences make me smile every time.  As I have matured the two refrains he uses throughout the poem give me pause. Even today Frost stops me in my tracks to think about both his viewpoints. What is your stance on, "Good fences make good neighbors?" ===JACK:  I don't mind fences.  I think that Frost said that it depends on what you are fencing in and what you are fencing out.  Stone walls can be very attractive; the Border Wall, on the other hand, is a negative, IMO>

M SF IN FL:  I believe in surrounding myself with teachers and friends of all ages. Keeps ideas fresh and life interesting!===JACK:  Isn't it interesting...how the choices we make so dramatically affect our life? 

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  When we are younger we look to older people to learn from, because we believe that they have learned things that we don’t know but would like to  know. As we become adults, we look to the people around us who may have already had experiences that we have not yet had. In addition, as we get older we look to younger people because we are sure that they have adopted and learned about new things that we have yet to try – like how to operate our smartphones.===JACK:  As the birthdays come and go, I become more thankful for the teachers I've had during my lifetime.

FROM LBP:  I was going to counter your final words ... “keep learning” with “keep and open mind” or “keep listening” or other such things.  But actually you capture it all there. To keep learning we must be open to the fact that we don’t know it all and hear what others are sharing. I’m still learning! ===JACK:  When Michelangelo was in his mid-80s he wrote: "Ancora  Imparo," ..."I am still learning."  I have his words posted by my computer.

FROM DR JUDY:  I was going to suggest Maya Angelou, but since she’s so much older and already deceased I decided to go with someone more current/youth.  Check out Brandon Leake. He won this year‘s America’s got talent. His spoken word poetry is mind-boggling. Here’s his first appearance on AGT you can Google more.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tdjIFkM-ohQ  (Yes you can share this on your blog)===JACK:  You're the second one who's suggested Brandon to me today.  Thanks for the link.===DJ:  Have kleenex===JACK:  I do have sort of a runny nose today.===DJ:  The things I like to learn now are about acts of kindness and caring. I hope I hear them everyday!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Not familiar with modern poets. Maya Angelou, perhaps one of the best.  Here is Josiah Gilbert Holland, I believe, right after the Civil War.  The words appear pertinent now. We have no one reporting anything but guarded self-interest for current events.===JACK:  What is it that makes a poet a poet?  Are rappers our modern poets?===JON:  Probably,  except where they descend into repeated profanity. But a great deal that I've heard is excellent.  Here's  a few lines from Dessa:
I don't need an agenda
I just tell the truth (yup)
Let it off the leash and
Don't touch it
It knows what to do
===JACK:  Who defines profanity?  It seems as though the definition has changed as times have changed.  BTW< thanks for the Dessa words.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  do we still have poets?===JACK:  Who do you classify as a poet?  Are Eminem, Snoop Dogg and Kanye West modern poets?  Just because their words might not fit our style, are they still poet===FL: no more so than musicians of the past..===JACK:  ...such as?===FL:  .whom do we consider to be a “poet” in the music industry? i can’t think of anyone...===JACK:  I quoted The Eagles recently.  The music, to me, overwhelmed the good lyrics.  Modern songwriters seem to focus more on the tune than on the lyrics.===FL:  elvis costello comes as close an anyone to musician and poet...===JACK:  I thought that Costello was part of the Abbott and Costello comedy team - famous for "Who's on first?"===FL  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SYczqCVFQw&feature=share    elvis is married to diana krall. he’s british, so he has that odd ironic humor, as they do... a wry social commentator w/a knack for a catchy tune.===JACK:  I remember when he first appeared on the scene.  He was a hit.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  The young teach me  computer skills and phone skills!  I still need help mastering my Christmas Smart phone!!  Yes, I had my "time" of teaching for 24 yrs, but imagine that would be hopelessly outdated today! Still our kids learned and certainly had a mastery of the 'basics" in English; reading, and math. by memorizing, etc. Now their computers and phones think for them!  Fascinating to think what the future holds, if we ever master this Virus!===JACK:  The best teaching is when we teach each other, and the best learning is when we learn from each other.

  

No comments: