Tuesday, October 20, 2020

 

Jack’s Winning Words 10/20/20
“Listen!  The wind is rising and the air is wild with leaves.  We’ve had our summer evenings; now for October eves.”  (Humbert Wolfe)  Humbert’s works are somewhat strange.  I wonder why he wrote, The Blind Rose, Reverie of a Policeman  and X at Oberammergau? Wolfe was Jewish, converted to Christianity, but maintained his heritage.  Today’s WWs show his fascination with nature.  He loved Fall’s rustling leaves and crisp air.  I do, too.  Do you?  .  ;-)  Jack 

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  we love Fall too but today we are supposed to get 2 to 4 inches of snow!.  so much for a late Fall.   oh well, there is usually an Indian summer sometime in Oct. or Nov.===JACK:  I wonder if there's a politically correct term is for Indian Summer?  ===SP:  good question.    "Native American warm week"   just doesn't seem to cut it:):):)  ===JACK:  No more playing cowboys and Native Americans, either.===SP:  good point.  what do we do with Indian head pennies??? ===JACK:  Be careful, you're playing in the conservatives band.  

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Definitely my favorite season.  The colors have been unusually beautiful this Fall.===JACK:  What I DON'T like about Fall...Winter's close behind...but then there comes the beautiful Spring and the nice warm Summer.  I love the changing of the seasons.  Life is something like that.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Definitely love the rustle of the leaves as well as the autumn aroma in the air.  I’ve never read Humbert before; perhaps I will explore later in the day.===JACK:  X at Oberammergau sounds intriguing.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Yes, and the beautiful colours. But clearing leaves from the lawns, now, that's  a different  ball game!===JACK:  MacBrown who mows my grass also grinds up the dry leaves and hauls them away...but I remember the days when I raked and when burning leaves was permitted.  I loves the small of the bonfire.

FROM STEVE IN WASH:  Yes...and the fog on calmer mornings.===JACK:  Is the fog because you live relatively close to the ocean?===S:  Yes, as a source. Low elevation combined with water vapor from the ocean, gets trapped against the Cascade mountains. The air temperature drops to the dew point regularly in the Fall and Winter months. ===JACK:  I knew that you might have the answer. 

FROM TRIHARDER:  Shorter days, no longer cooler nights. Time for nature's wonders to sleep.===JACK:  I don't think that Daylight saving Time affects what goes on as we move from season to season.  "You can't fool Mother Nature.==TH:  It only affects what time we wake up, what time we watch our favorite TV shows and what time we go to sleep===JACK:  Which do you like, EST or EDT or does it make any difference.  I personally prefer ONE time, whatever that may be.===TH:  I don't like the sudden shift of sunlight or darkness to an hour later or earlier on the clock. Most of the things I need to accomplish are in the early hours of the morning when I prefer light over darkness. To that extent, I prefer EST. Buf frankly,  I willingly relent to whatever is for the greater good.===JACK: You're very compliant today.

FROM D&K IN CO:  We   love the fall too and we've had a great fall here except for the many fires. Many days they pollute our air so we don't go outside. But we've still had the beauty of fall around us.===JACK:  Amazingly, nature has a way of recovering from the forest fires.  Global warming is another bowl of fish.===D&K:  One fire is very close to Boulder and burned many homes so fast that people lost everything. We see the smoke from that one. The  forest will recover and most people are thankful they are out safe.

No comments: