Thursday, October 01, 2020

 Jack’s Winning Words 10/1/20

“There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.”  (Epictetus)  “The Virus” has distressed many people.   Well, in Psychology Today I came across some suggestions for having a happier life.  Hang out with upbeat people – Do things you love to do – Do things with a purpose in mind.  Personally, I’m following the advice of Epictetus and not worrying about things I can’t control.  How about you?  ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  So, does that mean we can’t hang together? 😂===JACK:  I still am a member of the Optimist Club...promising myself to be so strong that nothing can disturb my peace of mind.  Yes, I'm still in to hanging out with you.

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  Epictetus was an ex-slave, a philosopher and one of the leading proponents of Stoicism in his day. There is much good information available about the rise and fall of stoicism as a philosophy of life. Stoicism fell out of favor as a philosophy, although it has enjoyed somewhat of a revival lately as people wrestle with our current political situation. It's failure is that it stops at the edge of reason and does not make the leap to belief that faith allows.===JACK:  As a philosophy major in college I've always had a leaning toward stoicism...make the best of things and move on.

FROM ER:  This is one of the things that I am trying to incorporate into my personal life. 🤪Maybe someone could pin a copy of this quote to my mother's pillow?===JACK:  I think that good advice could be welcomed in the life of each of us.

 FROM RS IN MN:  Awesome!!!   Thank you dear, Jack.  What a gift you provide for so many of us. You and the Holy Spirit communicate superbly.   God bless,===JACK:  The Holy Spirit does the heavy lifting. 

FROM SF STILL IN WB:   I’m workin’ on it. I am a pretty experienced worrier!! Very good at it! ===JACK:  I've never taken a course in worrying, but I'll bet I could ace the final without cracking a book.===SF:  You must be a quiet worrier. I am as well. Calm on the outside!===JACK:  "Still waters run deep."  Often the good teachers/preachers speak to themselves.


No comments: