Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Jack’s Winning Words  3/17/20
“I’m not a saint.  I’m not an angel.  I’m a human being.”  (Annie Lennox)  Annie would make a good Lutheran.  One of Luther’s key teachings is that we are simultaneously saint and sinner.  A saint is a believer in God, not a super-holy person.  We aren’t perfect human beings, but God loves us anyway.  In the Bible St Paul said of himself, “I am the chief of sinners,” but God was able to use him to preach the forgiving love of God by word and by example  ;-)  Jack


FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Good morning Jack. Saint, Sinner, Loser, or Winner seems we can touch all four of those bases daily, yet we can only pitch from the Human Pitching Mound. I am not given to baseball analogies but seem to recall the from the history books the 1960 World Series was won by Detroit over the NY Yankees, even though the Yankees outscored the Tigers 55-27 in the overall series score. We can use this old analogy to remember in the series of life there are times when we are Saint, Sinner, Loser, or Winner. We probably all get more than seven games. It is more important to win the series often than a single game. If I took marriage, family, friendships, relative health, I could say I won the World Series of my life. Though I indeed did not sweep my series in four, a reasonable mix of failure and successes helps enhance humility and gratitude. I am still pitching and somehow simultaneously at-bat. And the matters of better financials, helping others, and finding fulfilling work are still “series games” being played. ===JACK:  The "team" is made up of a collection of players, each with their own story.  There's the game on the field, and there's the game of life.  If truth be told, life's game is far more interesting and poignant.  

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We all have a little angel and a little devil in us.  Hence, the need for Jesus to suffer and die for us so we may have eternal life!  Thank you Jesus!===JACK:  Do you recall Geraldine who would say: "The devil made me do it?"

FROM LBP IN MI:  In this time of rapidly changing life situations, I'm getting some wins and some whoops. It's a good message to know we are loved anyway.===JACK:  At this point in the world, the whoops seem to have the edge...but, in the end, God wins!

FROM CL:  Thanks Jack! Nice words which encourage being gentle with oneself as we recognize imperfections!  Happy St patty’s day!===JACK:  Gentle is a word that sounds like what it describes.

FROM WILLMAR REV:  Would probably hear a strong, "Amen!" in that Assembly of God church next door?!?! 0;-)===JACK:  We are closer in the faith than some folks believe.

No comments: