Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 11/6/19
“Thanks for the privilege of your time.”  (Jose Diaz-Balart)  Jose is the evening news anchor for NBC on Saturdays.  His “sign off words” capture my attention…thanking me for listening.  He appreciates the value of my time.  Maybe the preacher should say that as we leave church.  Or the telemarketer.  There’s a saying: “Time is money.”  Time is more precious than that.  It’s our life.  Winning Words…my writing and your reading is a life-sharing experience.   ;-)  Jack 


FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  indeed it is!   time is life and life is time.   so enjoy this new day, old friend...===JACK:  Reuben Youngdahl of Mt. Olivet Church used begin his radio program by saying enthusiastically, "Up, up and away!  This is God's day.  Are you going God's way?"===SP:  from what i can tell,  Reuben was a real character. he had his own Limo and driver,  had a phone in the Limo which was almost unheard of in those days.   and even had a personal secretary to helped him write some if not all of his sermons.   i think he also had a bit of a drinking problem later in his life.  not sure this all 100% accurate but he did for sure  build a rather impressive ministry in south Mpls.  ===JACK:  Somewhat true...but the sin of jealousy does affect some pastors (especially in the Twin Cities area). SP:  it would be fun to talk more about this sometime.  pastors do have egos after all and they must be kept in check or jealousy can become an issue.===JACK:  Sloth is another!

FROM COPPER COUNTRY PASTOR:  Thanks for the privilege of your blogs.===JACK:  Kiitos!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  ...and Winning Words are a life enhancement experience.  Thanks, Jack. ===JACK:  Sometimes I wonder if they've run their course..===RS:  Not in my opinion....we look forward to them every day.  Most cause us to reflect on things...and usually direct us to doing something we believe will make us better.===JACK:  Complaining does not fit into "Winning Words"!

FROM THE PEW IN FRONT:  .Thank you for sharing.===JACK:  Yours is a reminder that I'm late in thanking you for all that you have done for HSLC.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Time is the angel of life without her we cannot fathom perspective nor memories. I am writing a song for my grandchildren the transitional line (lift) is, “Old men know that love is only memories, that’s why I want you here with me.” I like Jose’s words that’s an excellent sign-off. ===JACK:  I'm glad that you're still into song-writing.  I'm beginning to "give away" part of my library to my grandchildren...and some memory items, too.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I appreciate your time through all of these years!===JACK:  If you went to Central, it goes back 80 years.

FROM EMT SINGS IN TC:  You cannot know how important your writing and me reading is to my life! ===JACK:  Over 500 people (including you) each day!  It's hard to imagine.  I'll try to keep going for a while. 

FROM MY LAWYER:  Jack, thank you for Your time.===JACK:  "Thank you for your time!"  Friends say that to each other.  Throught5 the years....we've spent a lot of good time together. 


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Time is so fleeting isn’t it?  But such a gift!  It’s well worth the time to read and respond to your words!===JACK:  I met many people at Cross of Glory who became my friends.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I've never had the privilege of spending time personally with you, although we went to the same schools and had mutual friends. Jan and Hal most probably did, as fellow- Lutheran clergy! But as a Baptist pastor's wife, I enjoy your quotes and thoughts, and often share them with family, S,S. and circle meetings! I'm sure Bill would have appreciated  them, too, had he lived when our paths crossed! ( He was a pretty deep thinker, himself!) THANK YOU for your time, and writing! :-)===JACK:  As time has passed I've found that religious labels mean less and less to me.  It's the person!  Living in such a diverse community as I do, means that more and more of my friends are "different."  Being retired means that more and more of my friends are not clergy like me. 

FROM DB IN WB:  I enjoy it very much! 😊===JACK;  Although I only hear from a small percentage of those who receive Winning Words, I enjoy connecting with those who answer.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always thank the preacher for her/his sermon, realizing that she/he has spent time listening to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and then tried to give the message to all of us. However the message comes, however it is received, I am extremely thankful that God calls some people to that vocation.