Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 11/12/19
   “Fame is prison.”  (Lady Gaga)  I once toured Jackson State Prison in Michigan…inmates yelling at us through the bars as we walked past.  Not for me.  Lady Gaga talks of another kind of prison…not being able to live freely without fans going “gaga” over her.  I think, too, of people imprisoned by physical and mental disabilities.  Do you ever feel that you  are walled in?  Poet Robert Frost wrote: “Something there is that doesn’t love a wall…That wants it down.”  ;-)  Jack


FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Then people want to know why almost all these celebrities have an attitude.  It said that everyone has a period of 15 minutes of fame in their life.   That’s enough for me! ===JACK:  When did you have your 15 minutes?  Or, are you still waiting?  I like anonymity!

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Enjoyed reflecting upon your WW this morning.  Also received from Franciscan Media this interesting meditation on this saint.  Mental illness, physical limitations, intellectual limitations, financial limitations, social limitations, even not having various educational/theological/family backgrounds all possible limitations...Best wishes to you and all your family for a very blessed day and for being able to keep on working for the Lord and to make Jesus known everywhere in this world.  So many of us lean on Jesus for our very sanity!!!!===JACK:  It's always good to receive your thoughtful responses to Winning Words.  Francis was a saint before the Catholic Church named him a saint. 

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  Most of us will never be famous, so we need not worry about the problems that Lady Gaga and other stars have; however, many create a prison of sorts for themselves based upon just the opposite cause – anonymity. Being anonymous is especially easy if your move to a new town or area. It is also relatively easy to become anonymous if you are a shut in. Over time, people forget about
you and you may start to forget about other people. You have imprisoned yourself, somewhat by choice.  People with whom I talk who volunteer for the Meal on Wheels program that delivers meals to shut-in senior citizens tell me that the recipients often talk their heads off during the delivery, because the Meals on Wheels person may be the only person that they ever see. That is sad, but not unusual and not limited to just those shut-in seniors.  Many people, of any age, imprison themselves by remaining anonymous in their communities. They may get out of the house to go to work and back, but never seem to have time to meet anyone local. In this modern age of air-conditioned houses and lawn services to mow the lawn, it may even be rare to see them outside. That sometimes leads to the stories that we see on the news about a person dying and their bodies not being discovered for days or weeks. They were anonymous and thus not missed.  It is easier than you think to end your anonymity, without flipping over to the problem that Lady Gaga pointed out. You don’t have to become famous, you just have to be engaged in your community. Going to church is a great start. Church people tend to be friendly and you will quickly make new friends. Volunteer in the community. There are also tons of volunteer opportunities in every community – things like driving for Meal on Wheels or perhaps serving as a docent in a local museum. Join local organizations. Many clubs or organizations may have members who are willing to pick you up and drive you to and from meetings, so even “shut-ins” can participate.===JACK:  Yes, circumstances and choice are often involved in building individual prisons.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Most of us don't have to worry about the prison of FAME, but as a teacher and pastor's wife, I was selective about what parts I auditioned for in Muni Opera and local theatre. Not a prison, but a limitation I was happy to observe, as a Christian witness!  I'm afraid the twins did not grow up craving anonymity! We loved the spotlight...We're all created in our unique way, I guess!
I, too have visited in prisons which is a sobering experience to say the least, but most inmates are so thankful for a visit, or even cards and letters to let them know they are not forgotten.  It is also very difficult to find them jobs, when they are released!===JACK:  "Stone walls do not a prison make," is the famous quote.  A nickel if you know the origin of it without looking it up!

FROM WALMART REV:  Reminds me of the old cowboy song I grew up with-- Don't Fence Me In"
 Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above  Don't fence me in
Let me ride in the wide open country I love  Don't fence me in
Let me be by myself in the evening breeze  And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever, but I ask you please  Don't fence me in
Just turn me loose  Let me straddle my old saddle  Underneath the western sky
Let me wander over yonder  'Til I see the mountains rise  Don't fence me in
===JACK:  I used to roller skate at "The Rink" to that song.  Those were the days!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We all have some kind of wall, mine being Psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.  Most of the times I can find a door though it, but sometimes it remains closed.  It’s there though for me to find tomorrow.===JACK:  You are an inspiration to me and to others.

No comments: