Friday, March 08, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 3/8/19
“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”  (Shakespeare)  Sydney J. Harris wrote a book, Things I Learned While Looking Up Other Things.  In researching the Shakespeare quote, I learned that German Chocolate Cake didn’t come from Germany, but from a baker named, German…that the term, Big Bang Theory was a sarcastic remark.  The real name of the theory is the Primeval Atom.  Do you know of anyone who goes by a name other than their given name?   ;-)  Jack (John)

FROM TA,PA SHIRL:  That is all very interesting! No I cannot think of anyone like that! ===JACK:  Not even grandchildren or great-grandchildren?  No nicknames?  Do you remember  Lavern "Stinky" Trevarrow?  We used to call him "Stink."

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Everyone who is anyone knows that German Chocolate Cake comes from Germany....I call this a blatant case of anti-Deutschlandism....I, frankly, am not surprised that you pass on myths such as this!!!!===JACK:  You're wrong, because I read that "fact" on the internet.  For once, you are the dupee."===JOHN:   I am going this evening to a friend's house who will be serving us sauerbraten.....she grew up in Germany and is a wonderful cook.    I will tell her about the abomination that I read today in your WW column.    Only someone from Moline would suggest that.    What next?..... That lutefisk is from Spain?===JACK:  My son-in-law's boss is Joe Swedish.  I think that his wife's recipe is used to make Swedish Pancakes.

FROM VW MARY:  Are you seeing the sunrise? Spectacular!!!!!===JACK:  My office is on the west side of the house.  I just see sunsets.

FROM EMT SINGS:  I especially enjoyed your  WW today.  I am currently writing my memories in a little book entitled "Uniquely Eunice"  It is very fun and intended to be for my family.  It includes many of the things I have written over the years: poems, inspired epiphanies, and some really profound thoughts for the day! Who knows--you may make my book!===JACK:  You are certainly a gregarious person, so many people have walked life's path with you.  I'm glad to have been one of them.
FROM SPARTY JS:  Yes, me!   Joey.😂===JACK:  Joey could be a nickname for...Joelle  Josephine, Joanna, Johannah, Johnna, Jolene, Jolie, Jordyn, Jovanna, Joy, or some other.

FROM MARMAR:  Just wondering:  do you know why it is that men named John often go by the name Jack?===JACK:  In my case, I was named after my Uncle John.  In order to avoid confusion, I was nicknamed, Jack.  Now, probably more than you wanted to know...Jack is thought to have originated in medieval times as a common derivative of the name John.  The diminutive of Jack is thought by some to have hailed from the earlier Jackin (from the name Jankin)., it may be derived from the name Jacques, the French form of the name James or Jacob. There is also a theory that it is Celtic in origin, meaning "healthy, strong, full of vital energy" (compare the Welsh word iach, "health"), from a putative Ancient British Yakkios. Whatever its origins, both the name and the word "jack" were long used as a term to refer to any man, especially of the common classes.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We loved Sydney Harris's column in the newspaper, and his books! Mark was called "Oaksie" by all his friends, and that was part of his name in his obit. (Mark "Oaksie" Oaks....)  John was, and is, "Joker" to his friends. His reputation for practical jokes initiated it.  Sarah is "Sooz". Fred has been "Fredo"" (Fraydo) in the family...started when some book we were reading had characters ending in "o". Might have been "The Hobbitt".  The twins were usually Mar and Jan...
Enjoyed  the WW today.===JACK:  Isn't it fun to reca;; some of the nicknames from the past?  Of course some would be politically incorrect today...but that was then, and now is now..








No comments: